• shorthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hereford

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Circle B Cattle

Reaction score
I think it would be neat to see what people think of these two breeds (Shorthorn vs. Hereford). I personaly raise shorthorns along with composite club calves. I think the Shorthorn breed is a very suficient breed that doesn't need to be crossed up to compete at any grand drive, steer or heifer. Coments welcome.

What are we voting for?

Shorthorns might be better off in the show ring and Herefords are probably better suited for the pasture. However there are show ring Herefords and I am sure there are pasture performing Shorties.

If its just personal preference, Herefords hands down.

Circle B Cattle":l4mcjqr6 said:
I think it would be neat to see what people think of these two breeds (Shorthorn vs. Hereford). I personaly raise shorthorns along with composite club calves. I think the Shorthorn breed is a very suficient breed that doesn't need to be crossed up to compete at any grand drive, steer or heifer. Coments welcome.

It seems a bit of a non-sensical poll, both breeds have their place.

Although I agree with the statement in bold, sadly not everyone understood the differences between breeds and shorthorns was indeed crossed with Maine anjou in order to be more competitive.

Sorry i wasn't clear. I was wanting to know how people felt as a whole. Yes both breeds have thier place, but i want to know personal preferance and why....

I also agree that each breed has its place in the industry. If I had to pick just one, I would have to go with the Shorthorn. From my experience, there is more variation within the breed that allows the producer to choose different genetics in order to apply these cattle to various applications.

Since this is on the show board - Shorties.
Both have their merits, but SHs have more show appeal - but watch out for genetic defects

*Cowgirl*":1ct8vxuq said:
Since this is on the show board - Shorties.
Both have their merits, but SHs have more show appeal - but watch out for genetic defects
I agree, thanks for your input

Herefords hands down are better! They gain better, show better, sell better, and taste better. A shorthorn is just AIR and HAIR!

hereford_jock":3rp4jstz said:
Herefords hands down are better! They gain better, show better, sell better, and taste better. A shorthorn is just AIR and HAIR!
Hereford jock, know your facts, it is proven that shorthorns show better, look at the show results, shorthorns beat herefords more times than herefords beat shorthorns, shorthorns sell better in the show industry than herefords, and it is proven that shorthorns are in the top of the beef breeds for marbling (which anyone who knows steaks will say is the main factor affecting taste), so as a whole, they taste better too. Shorthorns are better hands down! It sounds like you are the one who is full of AIR!

you guys can believe what you want to but come to face with the facts. I don't know if their is any shorthorn out their that could survive in a pasture on it's own. Look around in pastures and do you see any shorthorns there...nope. They are all under air in barns growing hair to look good. No hereford needs that. Now i do respect shorthorns in the show ring but just wonder how they can survive in the future!

we have about 50 shortie that arent in the barn or nothing, they are in our commercail cows, and the shortie cows and bulls out perform the herefords. and they are in a 5000 acre pasture

well if u are going to be on the show board, then u need to talk about things that affect the industry, i have no problem with what u are saying, but take it to the correct board, maybe the breeds board is more suitable for your statements.

Moocow11":1g46ostj said:
we have about 50 shortie that arent in the barn or nothing, they are in our commercail cows, and the shortie cows and bulls out perform the herefords. and they are in a 5000 acre pasture

What are you doing to measure their performance?

Taking BW and WW's in a 5000 pasture? Putting their sons randomly on Bull Tests? Describe your management.

It seems like this poll is a popularity contest. If thats it, than Shorthorns would win hands down. I don't see how and shorthorns could help me reach my goals. They can have the show ring, because I want the pasture.

Lets talk about my Maines why does everyone cross with them I guess that just said that all the other breeds need something from my MAINES!!!! But I really dont play sides if it a good head of haired cattle I will own it doesn't matter the breed as long as its gotz A LOT of hair and no BIG EARs lol :lol: ;-)

Remember a good friend will bail u out of jail , But a true friend will be setting next to u saying we screwed up but we had FUN!!![/u]

Maineshowgirl":2ifen65t said:
Lets talk about my Maines why does everyone cross with them I guess that just said that all the other breeds need something from my MAINES!!!! But I really dont play sides if it a good head of haired cattle I will own it doesn't matter the breed as long as its gotz A LOT of hair and no BIG EARs lol :lol: ;-)

I agree, maines play a great role in the shorthorn breed. 80% of our black cluby cows our persentage maine. Crossing maines with everything is also beneficial to the maine breed. I think maines aren't super great by themselves. :)

Remember a good friend will bail u out of jail , But a true friend will be setting next to u saying we screwed up but we had FUN!!![/u]

CPL":1ervq8sh said:
Moocow11":1ervq8sh said:

Taking BW and WW's in a 5000 pasture? Putting their sons randomly on Bull Tests? Describe your management.

It seems like this poll is a popularity contest. If thats it, than Shorthorns would win hands down. I don't see how and shorthorns could help me reach my goals. They can have the show ring, because I want the pasture.

To CPL : Could you explain what you want in the "pature". Is it a roughed type that will survive on dirt and tree bark, or is meat quality your goal, or a cow that will produce a show quality calf?

Circle B Cattle":1kzlu0b8 said:
CPL":1kzlu0b8 said:
Moocow11":1kzlu0b8 said:

?

Well we have the pasture split up into 5 parts. We dont weigh the calves at calving, they are all about 80-90 lbs. The shortie will maintain weight, and condition compared to the herefords.

The shortie will wean 700 lb calves compared to the herefords 500 lber. And the shorties always feedout better in the feed yard, and will grade better at the slaughter house

Latest posts