Shorthorn bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
They are rather hard to come by in my area. Since I have a few purebred and partbred (Angus or Hereford x) cows what I am thinking is to AI some of these cows to a good Shorthorn bull in the hopes of getting a good bull calf, and some good replacements. Now the problem is what bull to use. I DO NOT want any Shorthorn that has Maine in his background. I want the traditional Shorthorn.

Some of the bulls that have caught my eye are
Prospect Hill Visa's Mirage,
Winalot Kannon 7K,
KMS Maverick 30B 17L all from IBS.

Also from Semex is
Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M and
Crooked Post Triple A.

And from Genex is
Carnegie.

So, who knows what about these bulls, and which would you suggest (or is there another bull that you really like). I am more interested in solid red, not that I don't like roan, but the buyers here don't. They will be used on COWS so calving ease is not a big concern, but growth and phenotype are, and preferably a Frame Score under 6.5.

When I was looking at the Semex catalogue for a good bull to use, Triple A didn't really appeal to me. Instead I used Shadybrook Scotty 83K, and I'm extremely pleased with the calf. My boss and several others have also used this bull and I haven't seen a bad calf among them.

If you can get the semen RB Eagle 148 produces some of the thickest shorthorn calves I have seen. If you want growth but are not concerned too much keeping heifers and milk then Mel-Bar Rodeo Drive 347 available from Genetic Horizons is an excellent choice, in our area no bull Simmental, Charlolais or other wise has been able to compete with his calves rate of gain. Another great choice for keeping replacemant females that give milk, clave easily, and are easy keeping then Waukaru Carnegie is a grat choice but his claves do not have the Growth of Mel-Bar Rodeo Drive 347 or RB Eagle 148. If Growth is your goal then Mel-bar Rodeo Drive 347 is the bull by far, if ist is thick balanced cattle then RB Eagle 148, if it is low birth weight, easy keeping females then Waukaru Carnegie is your choice. All three of these bulls are TH free.

phillse":13o7mho8 said:
If you can get the semen RB Eagle 148 produces some of the thickest shorthorn calves I have seen. If you want growth but are not concerned too much keeping heifers and milk then Mel-Bar Rodeo Drive 347 available from Genetic Horizons is an excellent choice, in our area no bull Simmental, Charlolais or other wise has been able to compete with his calves rate of gain. Another great choice for keeping replacemant females that give milk, clave easily, and are easy keeping then Waukaru Carnegie is a grat choice but his claves do not have the Growth of Mel-Bar Rodeo Drive 347 or RB Eagle 148. If Growth is your goal then Mel-bar Rodeo Drive 347 is the bull by far, if ist is thick balanced cattle then RB Eagle 148, if it is low birth weight, easy keeping females then Waukaru Carnegie is your choice. All three of these bulls are TH free.

Thanks, that was a lot of help, it sounds like RB Eagle 148 or Waukaru Carnegie would both work well. I like growth, but the heifers are likely to stay in the herd so I need the maternal aspect as well.

Agree with Killala, we like Scotty. Proof in USA, CA & AU.

Our herd is using Shadybrook Scotty 83K for our A.I. group. His calves are great. Good lower birth rates and rapid growth. Great Milk EPD's. Top 1%. TH Free also. We used a paternal brother by Buckshot as a herd sire for couple years, great group of cattle. His dam a proven great cow.

We plan on using Scotty also in our ET program.
Semex link: http://www.semex.com/di/beef/semex.cgi? ... 69601980U9

Shadybrook herd sire page: http://www.shadybrook.ca/

Latest posts