Shorthorn Bull - Thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

OldCrow

Reaction score
Let me preface this with I don't have shorthorn and he isn't mine. I was cruising CL and seen this young fellow and was impressed with his potential.

Looks like he would cross really well with Herefords. He is a little over 10 months old and has my kind of rear end. Still a lot of developing to do and his numbers aren't the greatest in a couple of areas but for price and potential might be worth a shot.

https://northmiss.craigslist.org/grd/5848792660.html

What Ya'll think. Am I to easily impressed?

I don't think so. He's really nice, especially for $1600. Only risk would be if he doesn't pass a semen test, but I think with some feed he'll really bloom.

Lazy M":3h8tp9q7 said:
I think you should look for a better bull

Please explain why. I guess look for a better bull is a thought but your critique is what I was gunning for.

ricebeltrancher":2xdi372a said:
I don't think so. He's really nice, especially for $1600. Only risk would be if he doesn't pass a semen test, but I think with some feed he'll really bloom.

I thought the same thing rice. It looks like he hasn't been pushed hard and would really fill out nicely with age and nutrition. He may not but for 1600 I don't think it would be a big loss either way.

Funny story. I pulled up that link, and thought that he looked familiar. He does. A friend of mine is the owner. She had him listed on a couple FB pages, also, so I had seen him.

crossbredcalves":2vt0kaji said:
Funny story. I pulled up that link, and thought that he looked familiar. He does. A friend of mine is the owner. She had him listed on a couple FB pages, also, so I had seen him.

What part of AR you from Cross? I use to work all over the Eastern Part up to Crowley's Ridge.

OldCrow":3vra0szz said:
Lazy M":3vra0szz said:

Please explain why. I guess look for a better bull is a thought but your critique is what I was gunning for.
He's a nice enough calf, but I don't see anything about him that is very impressive. You could do worse, but you could do much better without paying much more (at today's market).

OldCrow":3hd87h9i said:
crossbredcalves":3hd87h9i said:

What part of AR you from Cross? I use to work all over the Eastern Part up to Crowley's Ridge.

Northeast Arkansas; near Batesville, Arkansas

Lazy M":16zr7fym said:
OldCrow":16zr7fym said:
Lazy M":16zr7fym said:

He's a nice enough calf, but I don't see anything about him that is very impressive. You could do worse, but you could do much better without paying much more (at today's market).

I have to agree. It is a bull buyer's market out there. If you need to replace your bull, now is the time to do it, for a really good one, at great prices. He is a bit bold in the shoulders for me. When are you planning on using him?
I do like the cow and calf at the feeder behind him in the last picture though!

Look how narrow he is just behind his front shoulders (but that carries right thru his chest) If you cut that picture in half and showed them separately - You would swear it was 2 different animals from front to back.

That long skinny neck doesn't help his picture.

He does have a decent butt, but apart from that, I don't like him much.. I would want to see more masculinity in him, even at 10 months. Supa Dexta is right, if you cut him in half, you wouldn't guess that front half belongs to that back half... The long and the short of it is he looks like a steer.

Here's one of the better guys I raised, 1/2 GV, 1/4 SH, 1/4 Salers.. Unfortunately he damaged his manly bits and didn't pass his BSE.. Born Mar 15 2013, pic taken Aug 30 2013, so 168 days old, and he looks more like a bull at about half the age
IMG_9174_sm.jpg

Nesi, yours does look more masculine and has a better spring of fore rib. They both have the same fault in their belly line though. Ideally, you should be able to draw a line from the bottom of the brisket (not including extra skin, dewlap or leather) to the lowest point of the belly (again, not including extra skin or hair). Both bulls pictured are a bit sucked up in that regard.

Thanks fellows/ladies. A lot of the comments are what I was looking for.

I was just asking opinions on him to see if I was focused on the rear to much. Sounds like I am. That is the area I'm trying to improve on in our heard so I'm a little tunneled vision at times. haha.

Thanks Again.

Nesikep":1rybc2in said:
He does have a decent butt, but apart from that, I don't like him much.. I would want to see more masculinity in him, even at 10 months. Supa Dexta is right, if you cut him in half, you wouldn't guess that front half belongs to that back half... The long and the short of it is he looks like a steer.

Here's one of the better guys I raised, 1/2 GV, 1/4 SH, 1/4 Salers.. Unfortunately he damaged his manly bits and didn't pass his BSE.. Born Mar 15 2013, pic taken Aug 30 2013, so 168 days old, and he looks more like a bull at about half the age
IMG_9174_sm.jpg

Nesi,

Nice calf, I think he could have improved a lot of heards around here.

Latest posts