Shorthorn breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
What is your impression of the Bakenhus operation? I noticed they are having a sale coming up and just seeing what the general impression of their cattle was.

Are any Durham Reds going to be available that you know of?

Santas and Duhram Reds":2anowvw9 said:
What is your impression of the Bakenhus operation? I noticed they are having a sale coming up and just seeing what the general impression of their cattle was.

Are any Durham Reds going to be available that you know of?

I see so many folks ask questions like this - almost as if we all would be expected to know what you are talking about and who this outfit is.

Internet is a big place.

Never heard of the Bakenhus operation - in which county, state, province, country etc?

Who are they, where are they located, what do they raise (suspect SH), how long have they been in business, do they sell anything other than show stock - do they import / export animals / semen.

You obviously know about them - so spill the beans

I might be interested.

Bez+

I don't know a whole lot, hence the question. The raise SH, they are in Nebraska, they are HUGE (ArSuLu is a prefix used in 1000s of SH cattle, literally). Been in it for years. Going out of business this fall.

If you knew anything about SHs then you would know who they are or soon were (I would hope, if not then you haven't looked at too many pedigrees). That is why I labeled the thread to call on Shorthorn breeders. If you are not a Shorthorn breeder or are not familiar with them then entering this thread is sort of mute.

Santas and Duhram Reds":36ymwhad said:
I don't know a whole lot, hence the question. The raise SH, they are in Nebraska, they are HUGE (ArSuLu is a prefix used in 1000s of SH cattle, literally). Been in it for years. Going out of business this fall.

If you knew anything about SHs then you would know who they are or soon were (I would hope, if not then you haven't looked at too many pedigrees). That is why I labeled the thread to call on Shorthorn breeders. If you are not a Shorthorn breeder or are not familiar with them then entering this thread is sort of mute.

Lots of folks other than breeders might be interested - not every breeder - large or not is known the world over.

Especially to those who do not live in the USA - small and insignificant as we may be.

Suspect as huge as they are - they may have been missed by some of us who have used SH in the past - so I am probably moot :)

Good animal for a cross - never looked at more than one or two SH pedigrees - but I owned lots of Herf X SH with great success - would you sell a bull to a poor commercial guy like me or my neighbour who runs about 1500 head of momma cows and has used SH every few years to keep up milk production, etc.

Or should I just stay out of the thread?

No money in pedigrees (mostly bathroom wall paper) in my part of the world but never know when a decent bull might come in handy - SH works well - in fact very well. After all not every bull goes into a registered herd.

Hey I am just small time now - but I was interested.

Thnx - I appreciate the friendly advice - have a great day.

Bez+

How about this, maybe if you read the thread and haven't a clue what it is talking about b/c maybe you don't know as much about the breed as you thought you did, then maybe she shouldn't leave a comment slamming the thread.

Also, maybe if you looked at a pedigree everyonce in a while it would help you make an informed decision rather than just a shot in the dark based on how one is presented. I know for me and my cattle, I definitely wouldn't be jumping into a SH bull not knowing anything about him other than "he shore is purty". TH for example is something you may want to become familiar with.

Latest posts