Short memories

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I had lunch today with some hay producers and I was surprised to hear two of them complaining about the frequent afternoon showers we've been having. What short memories we have. I can still hear the crunch of the wilted grass from 2 years ago. I'll take these showers over drought any day of the week.

We are less than two days from the start of our annual scheduled drought. It starts every year on August 1st. Generally only last for the month of August. September gets here it will start raining again. But today I am enjoying overcast with a predicted high of 70 degrees.

Dave":39hw2m3s said:
We are less than two days from the start of our annual scheduled drought. It starts every year on August 1st. Generally only last for the month of August. September gets here it will start raining again. But today I am enjoying overcast with a predicted high of 70 degrees.

Down just a few miles south of you we had a few showers this morning, haven't hit 70 yet, but not mowing the yard either. Green pastures but no summer yet. We all wish for what we don't have. Next year I'll be bit ch'n cause I'm haying cows in August. :?

Alan":362s47p5 said:
Dave":362s47p5 said:

Down just a few miles south of you we had a few showers this morning, haven't hit 70 yet, but not mowing the yard either. Green pastures but no summer yet. We all wish for what we don't have. Next year I'll be bit ch'n cause I'm haying cows in August. :?

You probably get a little more rain than I do. It can come up the river from the ocean with nothing in its way. For me it has to run over a few hills to get to me. But I am sure not complaining. I have lots of green pasture this year. And hay may have been a little late this year but it got put up without getting rained on and I have more hay than I have ever had before. I am out of room to stack it.

I'll save my complaining till when I cut this next cutting and it gets rained on. :nod: But its getting close to knee deep, cows aren't sticking their heads through the fence, (cept a few stupid ones), heck I'm even thinking about getting the boat put back together for some saltwater fishing. Yep, I'll take this over a drought any day of the week. Besides, isn't that the reason they make plastic wrap? ;-) :lol2:

Jogeephus":1air8075 said:
I wish I could send you some. I don't like the memories of the drought.
Same here. We're good now, but remembering last year and even the year before, ya won't hear any haughty remarks from those of us who have seen how devastating it can be. The "drought advice" thread is downright heartbreaking to read.

Came back today from the beach at Perdido Key Fl. Did I ever mention I hate the beach, the sand and all that? Anyway all the way till almost Batesville MS the grass looks great, there on to I guess to almost Canada it's dry as can be

jedstivers":lsmdo5ms said:
Came back today from the beach at Perdido Key Fl. Did I ever mention I hate the beach, the sand and all that? Anyway all the way till almost Batesville MS the grass looks great, there on to I guess to almost Canada it's dry as can be

Last year, just 20 miles north of us it was kindling dry from there on. We've been lucky. Folks that planted corn will be driving new trucks next year. Sure beats what we dealt with a few years ago. Looks like rain right now.

jedstivers":37iil82d said:
thats a nice beach though,or it was...... my mother lived a few miles from there,, thats were we'd go most of the time

my place has become a swamp finally..my pond dried up before my 6 yr old was born....its got 5 ft in it since june

Latest posts