shopping for first Cud Chewing Beauty Queen

Help Support CattleToday:

Canesisters

Reaction score
I started scanning craigslist a few weeks ago to get a feel for the local prices of a Jersey cow.
The other day I came across an ad for a 3yr old-possibly pregnant-Jersey cow and her 7mo old hefer calf for $1800. I contacted them to verify if the price was correct since it was MUCH lower than any other that I've seen. It is. They want them gone as soon as possible.
The ad is kinda long. Lots of info about how much they've been milking her, how friendly she is, what they're eating, etc. The quick sale (according to the ad) is due to family issues but they are willing to wait a bit for them to go to a good home that will be a good 'fit'.

I know that they should be vet checked before going any further. Is there anything specific I should ask for or is a 'bovine pre-purchase exam' a standardized thing like it is for horses.
Also, when I go to look at them, what exactly should I be looking for - and asking??????
:help:

Canesisters":1vblo052 said:
I started scanning craigslist a few weeks ago to get a feel for the local prices of a Jersey cow.
The other day I came across an ad for a 3yr old-possibly pregnant-Jersey cow and her 7mo old hefer calf for $1800. I contacted them to verify if the price was correct since it was MUCH lower than any other that I've seen. It is. They want them gone as soon as possible.
The ad is kinda long. Lots of info about how much they've been milking her, how friendly she is, what they're eating, etc. The quick sale (according to the ad) is due to family issues but they are willing to wait a bit for them to go to a good home that will be a good 'fit'.

I know that they should be vet checked before going any further. Is there anything specific I should ask for or is a 'bovine pre-purchase exam' a standardized thing like it is for horses.
Also, when I go to look at them, what exactly should I be looking for - and asking??????
:help:

any chance you know someone local who you trust that knows a bit about the kind of cow you are looking at. If so I would offer to pay them to help you make a good decision on that cow.

I think 3way gave you excellent advice, about taking someone with you, but if that's not possible I'd say if they look healthy go ahead and take a chance. At that price I'd think it would be difficult to go wrong as long as they don't lay down and die on you.

If it's really a good deal, and they're in a hurry to get rid of them, I doubt if they'll still be available by this weekend.

Check her ear for a bangs tag (metal clip) and watch her being milked. Also, get a record of any vaccinations or antibiotics she's been given and wehn. That's about all you can do.

canesisters - Personally I know nothing about dairy cattle. However you may want to call richlands dairy down on 460 and maybe they can help give you some pointers or a reputable dairy cattle dealer. Richlands do not have jerseys only Holsteins. .
http://richlandsdairyfarm.webs.com/about-us they are all giving you great info. Here is another one I know of in va they may sell some http://jerseysites.usjersey.com/huffard/

If she is 5 hours from you there is someone on here thats closer than you are i would bet. I see you say south/east VA so there is no cattle 5 hours east. 5 hours west there are several people on here that can help you. Tell us the general area where the cow is and see if someone here can help.

She's wearing a halter in the picture - but, of course, that doesn't mean that she knows what it's for. ;-)
She's in the weaverville/ barnardsville area - near Asheville, NC. Is anyone willing to go look at a cow on the 25th with me? I'll buy you lunch. (and probably pester you to death with a bazillion questions)

Canesisters":1onp7jfk said:
She's wearing a halter in the picture - but, of course, that doesn't mean that she knows what it's for. ;-)
She's in the weaverville/ barnardsville area - near Asheville, NC. Is anyone willing to go look at a cow on the 25th with me? I'll buy you lunch. (and probably pester you to death with a bazillion questions)
All right, I popped off now someone has to be close to Asheville. Lets hear from someone.

Latest posts