Shop lighting

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I used my last two 8 foot fluorescent tubes today, used my last ballast 6 mos ago, so I've going to start replacing with LED as they burnout.
So I'm looking for a source for really bright 8ft ballast bypass led single pin FA8 tubes.
Anyone know of a good source?
BTW, would prefer made any where but China! (that's asking a lot, LOL)

Last edited:
No suggestion on where to get the tubes but take the plunge and do it now. You will wonder why you did not do it years ago.
Well maybe, but I have a mental problem about throwing something away that works.
When I built the shop 22 years ago I bought a case of tubes, and 6 or 8 ballast, And i just have used them all up.

With that strategy its going to take you a long time to get them all replaced. You proably can do it now at no cost if you use the shop a lot. Here is a calculator.

I suspect that once you get a few switched out and see the difference, you'll go ahead and do the rest instead of waiting. I wouldn't be surprised if you could use half as many LEDs as fluorescent and still get more light.

I suspect that once you get a few switched out and see the difference, you'll go ahead and do the rest instead of waiting. I wouldn't be surprised if you could use half as many LEDs as fluorescent and still get more light.
Actually that is the plan, just put 1 tube in each fixture, and if I need more lighting I'll try 2 tubes every other fixture. My eyes aint as good as they used to be, as I was born in the 1st half of the last century!

I have a 36x60 shop with 16' ceilings and had countless 8' florescent fixtures. Replaced all of them with 6 high bay LED fixtures and they paid for themselves within a year, and the shop is brighter and there is no warm up time or flickering in cold weather. Well worth the time and energy to rewire and hang some new boxes.

Latest posts