she's still alive

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
We'll, it's been about a week since I posted on the cow with the apple stuck in her gullet. She's doing great. She's a first calf momma I bought for $1500. As I saw her tonight doing what cows do I realized she wouldn't be standing there without this board. Minimally saved me $1500 and at most, the life income off a good young cow. I wonder how much the board has saved (in cattle/feed/vet/money) for it's writers and readers???

That is great news..

I do know from your post that I have now STOPPED giving my cows apples. So I thank you for your post. :tiphat:

angus9259":3u8770ev said:
I wonder how much the board has saved (in cattle/feed/vet/money) for it's writers and readers???

I would make a wager and say it is a substantial amount of money.

I don't know about the $$ side but the graces of the board saved 5 of 7 of my boys.

I give my big boy apples but I cut up (6-8 pieces) or stomp on them to break them.

Heard a story from the owner. Several years ago, he threw an apple to one of their cows expecting it to hit the ground. She caught it :shock: and it got stuck. He ran her down an into the shoot and used a broom handle to push it down her throat. She still likes apples but only pieces, never whole.

bandit80":1cyz3aqu said:
angus9259":1cyz3aqu said:
I wonder how much the board has saved (in cattle/feed/vet/money) for it's writers and readers???

I would make a wager and say it is a substantial amount of money.

Let's see...with the case of the twins in August...My costs were: vet expense (drugs, mainly)...$100, and my time...(which, now, seems like it wasn't much). What I "SAVED" from info on this forum: Twin bulls calves...which, in turn, means I ALSO didn't loose the amount I had put out for feed, vaccinations, etc. for the cow for the last 9.5 months nor the feed, vaccinations, etc. for the cow for the next probably 12 months waiting for the next calf! I saved $$$ just on using the "homemade" electrolytes, instead of the store bought, and they liked it better and it kept them hydrated, which saved their lives. This is just ONE case and I haven't even been on here very long. I definitely try to read the "Health and Nutrition" threads everyday to learn from the experiences of others...I like this definition on "Wiki" : "Experience as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event. The history of the word experience aligns it closely with the concept of experiment"

Latest posts