Sheep?

Help Support CattleToday:

WarriorPatriot

Reaction score
Haven't been on in a while.

Yeah I know he ain't cattle (If you look in the background you can sort of see my black and whites ;-) ) :roll: Mind taking a look at him? He's real young, 6 about 7 month old crossbred. Fair is in April. How do you think he'll do? I'd like him to be a bit longer but he is longer than he looks in the picture, and thick. I think once he gets meat on him he will look ok. His front legs could be straighter. We'll probably just have the judge that looks half crap for finish and nothing else anyway. :lol: Just started him on Hi-Pro Lamb. Might toss some Moor in too.

021.jpg

012.jpg

he looks pretty good, get him on a feeding ramp, and it will really get that lower quarter to POP

About how high should I make the ramp? I have a round rubber feed pan but I need to make a new feed reach. Can I use cinder blocks to raise the front of him when he's eating or set up some wood and a trough?

I know a way that really builds lower quarter on sheep and goats. It sounds goofy but works! I PROMISE! Take a tire and suspend it in the air, to where the tire is laying horizontal. take the rubber feed pan and put it in the middle of the tire. This not only forces the lamb to stand on his hind legs while eating, but it also forces hin to use his stabilizer muscles due to the constant movement of the tire. It really works give it a try.

I don't have anywhere to hang a tire in my pen, it sounds like a good idea though!

Keren, he's a crossbred. Either way at our county fair our classifier puts something thats 97% Suffolk for example, into a totally different class. My breeder was just saying that the other day. The commercial breeding in Suffolks from the past is hurting the shows but they're putting Suffs in that don't even look it and the ones that do into Hamp or whatnot. Mine is a Hamp X Suffolk. The way it will likely go at county is mine is going to go into Hamp. Thanks for the words.

he looks really good! with a little more depth and feed, you could be leadin the grand champ outta the show ring this april! let us know how he does

Miss Daisy":1yinnuyr said:
he looks really good! with a little more depth and feed, you could be leadin the grand champ outta the show ring this april! let us know how he does

That's my hope too, but you never know! That's just one of the inns and outs of the showring. You could have the best genetics you can find and the right finish, but at that moment you step in the ring, it's in the judges hands and they can change everything you've worked toward. :lol:

You need to go to mylamb.com! NOBODY used ramps anymore...it causes the lamb to break at the loin. If you want to build the lower hind quarter...work them backwards on a treadmill. We used a "people" one and modified it with nothing more than 2 panels and a 2x4. 3-5 minutes every other day will build a ton of shape and muscle! Just do a search on mylamb for ramps and you will see that this is outdated and has proven to be harmful.

Yeah I've read about ramps. Not too many people use them anymore that I know of. I've been on mylamb. There was some password problem with my account and it wont send me a new one. It was a generated one they gave me and it didn't keep it and I couldnt change it. :roll:

You can still go on view, read, and search posts. You only need a password to post messages or replies. I'd give it another try

WarriorPatriot":7a8uo0q3 said:
I don't have anywhere to hang a tire in my pen, it sounds like a good idea though!

Keren, he's a crossbred. Either way at our county fair our classifier puts something thats 97% Suffolk for example, into a totally different class. My breeder was just saying that the other day. The commercial breeding in Suffolks from the past is hurting the shows but they're putting Suffs in that don't even look it and the ones that do into Hamp or whatnot. Mine is a Hamp X Suffolk. The way it will likely go at county is mine is going to go into Hamp. Thanks for the words.

Ha, I didnt read the first post well enough, you did say he was a crossbred.

Just wondering, how do sheep shows in America work? Is it like the steer shows, where you can take him around a heap of shows live, before he is slaughtered? And does he get judged on the hooks as well?

I would think a Hamp X Suffolk would give a similar result to a South Suffolk, as the Hamp is a good little sheep. But I think the Sth Suff. would still give a thicker set sheep. I'm not a huge fan of the straight Suffolk in general as a prime lamb breed, they tend to be too fine boned, narrow, lack depth and muscle. Actually, a nice cross is the Sth Suffolk X Poll Dorset. They are hefty little lambs.

We used to show South Suffolks (had to put in the plug ;-) ) in the stud classes. We had a few in hoof and hook competitions, but the lamb hoof and hooks never really picked up around here. Goat hoof and hook competitions are just being established here, and we are actively promoting them. We have had animals in two hoof and hook competitions so far, with good results both live and carcase. We'd like to get a led wether competition up and running, as this would give the goats more publicity (public awareness and image is a big issue in the goat industry in Australia at the moment) but so far they have just been penned.

But we dont use ramps, treadmills or anything like you guys do! Your show circuit and preparation techniques are just so different to any of ours! :shock: I think I would be lost if I tried to show cattle over there.

Anyway, let us know how he does!

Latest posts