Shed Antlers

Help Support CattleToday:

I found a nice moose paddle the other day. I've got some young horses that need miles so i've been thinking of hitting the shed hunting pretty hard this upcoming spring.

mnmtranching":2t9jw4c3 said:
Any shed hunters out there?

I've collected a quite a few over the years.

We frequently find them stuck in tractor or implement tires......... :lol:

MikeC":2muaxa7p said:
mnmtranching":2muaxa7p said:

With me it's Mule tires............................

Hippie Rancher":1ek5p5qz said:
I have a few, mostly small
Like to find any species skulls even better. (don't tell az g&f)

Apparently there are a few States that won't allow people to pick up skulls. I think that sucks :mad: Everybody has to suffer because of a few poachers.

dun":1m4cdu22 said:
MikeC":1m4cdu22 said:
mnmtranching":1m4cdu22 said:

With me it's Mule tires............................

I every once in a while find a few in bales, Mostly from bought big bales. After the cows have cleaned up the hay I see these antlers, mostly small laying there.

Is there any picticular places to find sheds ? Exspecially say of a picticular buck that you may be hunting ? I know i have read and seen pictures of sheds that hunters have found of the same buck that they eventually killed.

Stepper":2qc5loco said:
Is there any picticular places to find sheds ? Exspecially say of a picticular buck that you may be hunting ? I know i have read and seen pictures of sheds that hunters have found of the same buck that they eventually killed.

Mostly in the brush as best I can tell for whitetail around here. Generally the antlers are in the cedar breaks.

I have seen where people who have feeders out for deer take a cattle pannel and either cut it into or flod it in half and make like a v trap arround the feeder. Then when a buck would come into the feeder during the time of year they are losing their antlers. If they have one that is lose and about to fall off it will get hung in the pannel and if it is loose enough it will come on off at the feeder.

mnmtranching":d8zs9q1n said:

We do that here too mnmt. Haven't found anything big, but a few 6 pts. Usually happens if we are tapping maple trees. The dogs have found a couple too. ;-)

Misty, A weekends finds with the bone dogs [formerly know as the bird dogs]

This was late Jan 07.

p10100272.jpg

mnmt,

How did you train your dogs to hunt sheds ? I saw an article last year i think it was about people using dogs to hunt sheds.

Not quite shed antlers,, but we hunt some ranches that shoot hogs with the choppers and we find some huge skulls. Those things look like cow heads and and will have 6' teeth. :shock:

I ain't skeered... but I ain't too proud to say glad they get those with the choppers and not me with my pot lickers. :lol:

Stepper":220p5yst said:
mnmt,

How did you train your dogs to hunt sheds ? I saw an article last year i think it was about people using dogs to hunt sheds.

Stepper my dogs are bird dogs first, if I have the shotgun they could care less about anything but birds.

When they were pups I played fetch with antlers and they loved it. Now, Before I walk looking for sheds, I just throw a antler a few times and get them exited. Then they just start sniffing all over,and WOW are they fun to watch when one of them finds a antler.

mnmt - those dogs look all cute and sweet! Bet you 5 minutes before you took the pic. they hunkered down over that carcass looking like a couple of jackals.

P.S. thanks for the PM :D

I found one shed while I was out hunting year before last.. Rodents had knawed a little in spots, but it was half an eight point rack with about a 4" brow-tine.. The brow-tine has a very distinctive diamond shape to it, if you look down at it from above.. Almost blade-like..

The next year, I took a 10-point buck with similar diamond-shaped brow tines.. The shed had a bigger base than the one I took, so either it was the same buck and he'd begun dropping off a little by the time I took him, or the shed was from his daddy (or granddaddy, or uncle, or big brother -- who knows)..

A few weeks after that, I found the other side of the eight-point I'd found the year before, only a few feet from where I'd found the first side.. Rodents had really worked on it, since it had been laying for a minimum of a year and a half, but it was basically complete and still in one piece.. Pretty neat to find the other half. :)

Latest posts