SHAPLEY'S touch-up????

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
Anyone on here used it? I am looking at the darker shades from chestnut, middle brown and dark brown to match leg color on the red Gv cattle i show. sullivans auburn and brown are no way close, the old sullivans brown was perfect then they went and changed it. Oh well at least crimson red works on the really dark ones. And i know how to light coat and darken with crimson red and black but these cattle are too light to match that way so i am considering trying Shapley's. Afterall dye is illegal and if caught is grounds for expulsion. Looking forward to responses.

Havent seen the stuff. Im gonna be at the fall classic in Texas next week. Anything goes there. Ill get back with you if anyone is using it. Who sells the stuff?

Shapley's was very popular when I was young on the horse show circuit. I leaves the hair soft, not stiff so that may or may not work for you. Be sure you let it dry good before touching it or trying to work with it or it will be all over you. As I remember it was a good product. We have it here at our local independent feed store , but I'm sure you can find it online if needed.

I used shapley's at agribition in regina it worked ok but still getting the color perfect on legs was tough you had to coat like with any touch up and know when to stop. I went back to the old way of using sullivans as well. But i also tried an idea i had of mixing dry water based paint (like old white or black glow) to get the perfect shade match and putting it in spayer bottle and blowing it in. It worked well but was a bit more work, on the blacks i got ready with a mix of royal blue and black the looked awesome on the body hair. It just takes some time getting the shades of red mixed just right. It also helps hold the hair. The problem is you have to be careful and know when to stop or it can get really heavy and tacky if there is too much applied or not enough water in the mix, it can also plug sprayers. I am going to keep on working on color mixes and water volumes and see if it works with alcohol instead of water. The old trial and error thing. Maybe if i can get the bugs figured out maybe i can even sell some.

Latest posts