Shame

Help Support CattleToday:

there are a lot of folks on here now who come on asking basic questions one week and start giving advice in which they have NO BUSINESS giving a week later because they'e read some topics and think they know something. The quantity of knowledge on the boards as significantly decreased from when I started how ever many years ago.

I agree some of the posters I used to enjoy aren't posting anymore. So what's the cause? Is it posters like Jake says? I try to stay out of threads I know nothing about. Doesn't mean I don't follow them you don't have to post on a thread to watch that thread(Thank You Macon). If the quaility of post isn't to their liking they could start threads that do interest them. How bout it Jake. Start threads that interest you. And your experiences and the way you operate. It would have little or no bearing on the way I operate. Two different worlds. But I would like to still learn fom you and your peers. Just don't blame us newbies/small time hobbiest/know it alls. We aren't stopping you from having conversations. And as far as having to deal with people well that's just the way the world is.

And it could be some posts are made to just push some buttons. In hopes that those with real working world knowledge
will contribute. I know I'm in the minority but I miss a certain poster. He could get you guys keyboards fired up. And even if I didn't learn something in that thread I enjoyed your opinions.

You larger/experienced operators have knowledge and I want it.
I started a thread about the large inventory (because of drought) maybe keeping prices down. Very few responses. :?:
I thought for sure some would have something to say about it.
Maybe the auctioneer I talked with yesterday is right. No matter how many cattle run through the ring you just going to get what you get. That flys in the face of supply and demand
economics.

While I watch 1 other forum board because of the "action".
There are 2 others where the posts would drive you guys to boredom. Simple questions, very few continued threads.
And 1 other that would drive you NUTS. Huggie Kissey love my cuddley (fill in your favorite here) animal posts.

Sincere Thanks To All who post here. Those that post once in a blue moon and those that post 32 times a day. Participation is the only way we can keep this going. And in the process let's try to kick alittle business back to those that financially support the site.

Many of the TRUE gurus that I read regularly, still post.

CB, I read all of your posts.

I have not been on these boards long, and been reading them longer than that.... I appreciate the knowlegable people.... and I hope every one of them stay. The more people the more ideas and input..... I would hate to see a shallow gene pool on here :D

Michele

Caustic Burno":4imnqww0 said:
There used to be a lot more real ranchers on here.
We are losing a tons of knowledge.

In my opinion, you, Caustic, are a good part of the reason people have left. You make fun of beginners instead of trying to help. People just get tired of the ugly talk. You and your bunch of attack dogs will ride someone until they leave. Shame on you.

I read this board everyday but post very little. I only respond to what I know has worked for me and nothing else. I have learned a great deal and continue to learn. That being said I think there is to much emphasis put on someone being a guru relating to the number of post made. Anyone can come on here and put a one sentence reply or post an icon to an abundance of posts and run their numbers up to attain guru status. Numbers mean nothing but helpful meaningful posts do. I still believe there is lots of knowledge here and it's up to the ones with this knowledge to want to give it freely but you have to be willing to give it to everyone that asks for help and not just certain people because you think they're real ranchers, on the other hand you have to be willing to take advice from everyone if you ask for it. More should be said for how advice is given. What exactly is the definition of a real rancher. I'm sure there are a lot more small producers in the U.S. than there are big time operations and I don't care how big you are in my area your still considered a farmer and not a rancher. I still find information I can use from these boards and think I always will. I'll take any helpful advice from anyone if I think it will work for me wether it comes from what is considered a real rancher or not. My opinion and only my opinion. Greg.

jgn":1dby7fvr said:
I read this board everyday but post very little. I only respond to what I know has worked for me and nothing else. I have learned a great deal and continue to learn. That being said I think there is to much emphasis put on someone being a guru relating to the number of post made. Anyone can come on here and put a one sentence reply or post an icon to an abundance of posts and run their numbers up to attain guru status. Numbers mean nothing but helpful meaningful posts do. I still believe there is lots of knowledge here and it's up to the ones with this knowledge to want to give it freely but you have to be willing to give it to everyone that asks for help and not just certain people because you think they're real ranchers, on the other hand you have to be willing to take advice from everyone if you ask for it. More should be said for how advice is given. What exactly is the definition of a real rancher. I'm sure there are a lot more small producers in the U.S. than there are big time operations and I don't care how big you are in my area your still considered a farmer and not a rancher. I still find information I can use from these boards and think I always will. I'll take any helpful advice from anyone if I think it will work for me wether it comes from what is considered a real rancher or not. My opinion and only my opinion. Greg.

Greg, I happen to agree whole heartedly with your opinion. And, I'd like to add that there are different areas of expertise on this board, yet they all deal with cattle and land, in one way or another...be they baby calves or big money bulls, big ranches or small acreages.

Alice

Alice":39caryc7 said:
jgn":39caryc7 said:

Greg, I happen to agree whole heartedly with your opinion. And, I'd like to add that there are different areas of expertise on this board, yet they all deal with cattle and land, in one way or another...be they baby calves or big money bulls, big ranches or small acreages.

Alice

Greg, I agree with your opinion as well.
Knowledge comes from unexpected places sometimes.
You can learn from just about anyone if you put a mind to.

the board is still a good board.even though there isnt much posting going on right now.theres still alot of knowlage here.people come an go on the internet an boards.i dont post much anymore because of the fights that seem to start.but i do read an post when i think i can be of help to people here.

You never get too old to learn a thing or two.

I have, and will continue to learn here. Heck, I've even picked up some from CB,(crusty ole critter that he is) Also from Jake, who is I beleive quite a bit younger than me, but no matter. He still has a wealth of knowledge, that I'm not ashamed to tap into.

We have indeed lost some members, but I was going on the idea, they were busy haying and working.

jgn":3djbkdac said:
Anyone can come on here and put a one sentence reply or post an icon to an abundance of posts and run their numbers up to attain guru status.

I still believe there is lots of knowledge here and it's up to the ones with this knowledge to want to give it freely but you have to be willing to give it to everyone that asks for help and not just certain people because you think they're real ranchers, on the other hand you have to be willing to take advice from everyone if you ask for it.

Greg, you said a whole bunch in a very nice summary.

The only other point to add is that there are folks who have grown up in the cattle business and have tons of expertise but currently own no cattle. There are folks who have retired and no longer ranch, but they can fix an animal better than most vets. Some of these folks no longer have interest in reading about cattle. As Warpaint pointed out, you can learn from anyone. Most of us are here to learn or because of interest in this subject.

I sometimes ask simple questions about stuff I know about just to see the responses that it gets and most of the time I can learn something from the answers and I'm almost certain others can too.

Frankie":1yf04dtv said:
Caustic Burno":1yf04dtv said:
There used to be a lot more real ranchers on here.
We are losing a tons of knowledge.

In my opinion, you, Caustic, are a good part of the reason people have left. You make fun of beginners instead of trying to help. People just get tired of the ugly talk. You and your bunch of attack dogs will ride someone until they leave. Shame on you.

Of all the condecending people on this board you get the blue ribbon Frankie. All you know is black and if it aint black your wrong.
I bet you just hate it in real life when people don't see it your way.

PS and Frankie you were not one I was talking about is all you can talk about is Angus oh puke.
There are a lot of Angus people on this board that know cattle I just don't consider you one of them.

dj":9u5tceoj said:
While I watch 1 other forum board because of the "action".
There are 2 others where the posts would drive you guys to boredom.

Mind saying what the other boards are? I'd like to check them out.

i think the term real rancher get thrown around here too dam much anyway. there's some that come on here every once in a blue moon stirs up a sht storm and bails. and thought to be great cattlemen just becauce they run a certain breed in the ground. never see them on any other boards giving helpfull advice they just haunt the breed boards. real cattlemen/cowboy in my opinion are more than willing to help and understand he!! not ever one knows it all

You can learn from anybody----sometimes it's what NOT to do//

Never a dull moment around our place, folks are probably just out working getting ready for winter. Things will probably pick up on the Q&A after the snow starts flying.

Latest posts