Sex selected semen

Help Support CattleToday:

Not at 2 weeks old and that's more than double than what they bring here in Minnesota.
Yes it is a lot for a calf. Although 11 years ago I paid $250 for e Jersey heifer in Texas, Oregon is the 5th most expensive place to live. For instance gas is 4 cents less than $5 here. I was $5.55 But there are only 4 million people in the whole state and it's a nature paradise.

Most dairys tag all their calves.
This dairy had only tagged about half, I noticed it looked like the better half.

Holes in cartilage won't heal closed, but a slit contained within an ear will.
haha I guess that's why my pierced ears have not closed up after years with no ear rings. I was always chicken to get my ears pierced so finally I took a doctor friend with me. This made the lady so nervous she pierced one higher than the other and had to do it over. It's not the pain it's the dadgummed sound that kills you.

Keep or Sell Thank you for this opinion. I'd rather sell her as a first calf heifer. The bull our pasture leasing neighbors have over here tends to throw a low birth weight but unfortunately he is her sire. I could breed back to Jersey AI but that would be a big expense with little return.

You think that's bad :) I have another awful poem called Ghost Cattle From the Fire

About Ghost Cattle From the Fire- I sure enjoy reading the stories on here so here is mine.What happened was in 2011 there was a giant 55 square mile forest fire that burned up the ranch, everybody else's ranch and 1790 other houses, including my cabin in the woods. My friend Jarad had to sell all the cattle because there was nothing to feed them. All the fences in the whole coutry were burned up too. Jarad and I had been best friends for years. We moved into a small building that had not burned that I called the calf hospital. They kept refigerated penecillin, vaccines, calf equipment in a sort of a kitchen. It had a bathroom too.

Well, three stray cattle showed up on the ranch, a white mottle cow, a big red heifer and a black steer. You could only see them in the distance. These animals were literally wild as bucks. If they even glimped you way far off they ran crashing and breaking through the burnt trees. The white mottle cow was the craziest of them all and was their leader. Then, a Hereford bull showed up, stayed with them awhile then he must have gone home. The cattle were thin and the pasture was burned up. We would put out cubes for the cattle but they only showed up after dark. We decided to try and catch and sell these cattle.

It took a year of inching the cubes in a baby pool closer and closer to a trap where it was possible to herd cattle into some strong corrals made of sucker rod. The corrals were made of steel thats why they had not burned. Finally the cattle were coming into the trap at dusk. By then the white cow had produced a calf. We inched the feed closer and closer to the corrals.

If these cattle even got to somehow read you mind with a 6th sense they were off crashing throught the trees and fences that were left. You could not look at them or even think about them or they were off to the races. Finally, Jarad got all four in the corral, snuck up came running toward them and shut the gate.

When there are stray cattle in that county you are supposed to turn them in to the Sheriffs. They take them away to Animal Control and put an ad. If no one responds they sell the cattle and keep the money. Or the finder can run an ad, not sure what they are supposed to do with the money. You have to run it for a month. Jarad put an ad but no one who called could describe the cattle. So we sold them at the auction yard for thousands of dollars and split the cash. We'd been feeding them for a year. I guess in a way we were cattle rustlers. My great great grandfather raised cattle in west Texas and drove cattle to Kansas on the Goodnight Loving trail and sold them. It is said that he also 'changed the brands' of Mexican cattle so it is a sort of family tradition.

This Ghost Cattle poem is sung to the tune of Ghost Cattle in the Sky. Mostly it has the same words but some are altered.

A young cow person went out riding on a lovely day
Upon a ridge she rested as she went along her way
When all at once a spooky herd of wild eyed cows she saw
A-crashing through the burned barb wire and up a blackened draw

Their brands were still on fire and their hooves were made of steel
Their horns were black and shiny and their hot breath she could feel
A bolt of fear went through her as they thundered through the fence
For she saw some people carryn' cubes and knew they must be dense

Yippie yi Ohhhhh
Yippie yi yaaaaay
Ghost cattle from the fire

Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred, their shirts all soaked with sweat
They're sneakin round to catch that herd, but they ain't caught 'em yet
'Cause they've got to hide forever on that range up in the sky
Tryin' catch wild cattle from the fire
That vanish and can fly

As livestock ran away again one took God's name in vain
Damned bovines come and go at will a grazing on our range
Its Factor D* today girl and with us you must ride
And try and catch this crazy herd, across these endless skies

Yippie yi Ohhhhh
Yippie yi Yaaaaay

Ghost Cattle from the fire

*Factor D is Determination

About Ghost Cattle From the Fire- I sure enjoy reading the stories on here so here is mine.What happened was in 2011 there was a giant 55 square mile forest fire that burned up the ranch, everybody else's ranch and 1790 other houses, including my cabin in the woods. My friend Jarad had to sell all the cattle because there was nothing to feed them. All the fences in the whole coutry were burned up too. Jarad and I had been best friends for years. We moved into a small building that had not burned that I called the calf hospital. They kept refigerated penecillin, vaccines, calf equipment in a sort of a kitchen. It had a bathroom too.

Well, three stray cattle showed up on the ranch, a white mottle cow, a big red heifer and a black steer. You could only see them in the distance. These animals were literally wild as bucks. If they even glimped you way far off they ran crashing and breaking through the burnt trees. The white mottle cow was the craziest of them all and was their leader. Then, a Hereford bull showed up, stayed with them awhile then he must have gone home. The cattle were thin and the pasture was burned up. We would put out cubes for the cattle but they only showed up after dark. We decided to try and catch and sell these cattle.

It took a year of inching the cubes in a baby pool closer and closer to a trap where it was possible to herd cattle into some strong corrals made of sucker rod. The corrals were made of steel thats why they had not burned. Finally the cattle were coming into the trap at dusk. By then the white cow had produced a calf. We inched the feed closer and closer to the corrals.

If these cattle even got to somehow read you mind with a 6th sense they were off crashing throught the trees and fences that were left. You could not look at them or even think about them or they were off to the races. Finally, Jarad got all four in the corral, snuck up came running toward them and shut the gate.

When there are stray cattle in that county you are supposed to turn them in to the Sheriffs. They take them away to Animal Control and put an ad. If no one responds they sell the cattle and keep the money. Or the finder can run an ad, not sure what they are supposed to do with the money. You have to run it for a month. Jarad put an ad but no one who called could describe the cattle. So we sold them at the auction yard for thousands of dollars and split the cash. We'd been feeding them for a year. I guess in a way we were cattle rustlers. My great great grandfather raised cattle in west Texas and drove cattle to Kansas on the Goodnight Loving trail and sold them. It is said that he also 'changed the brands' of Mexican cattle so it is a sort of family tradition.

This Ghost Cattle poem is sung to the tune of Ghost Cattle in the Sky. Mostly it has the same words but some are altered.

A young cow person went out riding on a lovely day
Upon a ridge she rested as she went along her way
When all at once a spooky herd of wild eyed cows she saw
A-crashing through the burned barb wire and up a blackened draw

Their brands were still on fire and their hooves were made of steel
Their horns were black and shiny and their hot breath she could feel
A bolt of fear went through her as they thundered through the fence
For she saw some people carryn' cubes and knew they must be dense

Yippie yi Ohhhhh
Yippie yi yaaaaay
Ghost cattle from the fire

Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred, their shirts all soaked with sweat
They're sneakin round to catch that herd, but they ain't caught 'em yet
'Cause they've got to hide forever on that range up in the sky
Tryin' catch wild cattle from the fire
That vanish and can fly

As livestock ran away again one took God's name in vain
Damned bovines come and go at will a grazing on our range
Its Factor D* today girl and with us you must ride
And try and catch this crazy herd, across these endless skies

Yippie yi Ohhhhh
Yippie yi Yaaaaay

*Factor D is Determination
Someone posted a video of "Ghost Chickens in the Sky" by Leroy Troy a couple of weeks ago. I am more partial to his classic "5lb of Possum" myself.

Latest posts