Setting up question

Help Support CattleToday:

tjmdo

Reaction score
Looking to make our land purchase. 148acres with perimeter fence and 3 ponds. Some working pens as well. We want to run a grass fed operation and the grass is ok. Looking to find out what we would need to get set up and working before we put the cows out. We want to set it up to make it user friendly with easy paddock rotations before we put the cattle out. Any suggestions? Thanks

Probably the best set up idea on pastures I've read on here:

zirlottkim":1ovz7hd1 said:
I had a crummy little setup when I first started. It was next to impossible to get them all caught. When I was adding more pasture, my fence builder pleaded with me to set up a lane system with net wire that runs through the entire property. He is a heckuva cow man as well as a fence builder so I took his advice. Every rotation is through the lane. Also, the catch pen is incorporated to the lane so any move and they're caught. Sure made things a lot easier than my original setup.

slick4591":23d0cijw said:

zirlottkim":23d0cijw said:
I had a crummy little setup when I first started. It was next to impossible to get them all caught. When I was adding more pasture, my fence builder pleaded with me to set up a lane system with net wire that runs through the entire property. He is a heckuva cow man as well as a fence builder so I took his advice. Every rotation is through the lane. Also, the catch pen is incorporated to the lane so any move and they're caught. Sure made things a lot easier than my original setup.
I should've walked you through my catch pen when you were here. Sure works good. I had my 10 year old daughter pen them up a couple times. They think they are just moving to greener grass. When they realize it, they're caught. All credit goes to my fence builder.

zirlottkim":337zhfel said:
slick4591":337zhfel said:

zirlottkim":337zhfel said:
I should've walked you through my catch pen when you were here. Sure works good. I had my 10 year old daughter pen them up a couple times. They think they are just moving to greener grass. When they realize it, they're caught. All credit goes to my fence builder.

I would have loved it, but my family would have had issues with me talking cows for a while when they were sitting in the truck. :lol:

I would fence the ponds off and set up a central watering location and have lanes set up for the cattle to get to this watering area - on the same lines as what slick is describing of zirlottkim's setup. This way they become familiar with your working area. This is how I do mine.

I haven't fenced my pond off and you wouldn't have to as long as you have a couple of fenced pastures with no water in them. When I need to work cattle I get the cattle in a pasture without a pond and deprive them of water for a spell. Then to get them toward the loading or working area all I need do is open the gate to the water source and they walk right in. Inside this area is a maze of pens and gates and alleys.

This makes life much simpler.

zirlottkim":3sctaxfy said:
slick4591":3sctaxfy said:

zirlottkim":3sctaxfy said:
Care to draw a sketch of your pasture/pen set up? Sounds interesting

Google maps does not have an updated image of my property. I think these are back from when we were building everything. I have since added a lean to from the barn to cover the working chute and extended the hay barn but it gives an idea. You can see the lane crossing the property. There is a road splitting the property but with the lanes directly across from each other, moving across the road is easy too.