Setting CIDR's after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm trying to move my calving season up a bit. How soon do you feel it is okay to set CIDR"s and then AI approx 9 days later (7 days + 60+ hrs) after the cows have calved? Also cows will be turned out to the clean up bull after two rounds (50 days) of AIing if neccessary.

Thanks,
Alan

45 days postpartum as a minimum. You'd have more luck moving your calving season up by synchronising, AI once and then turn clean- up bull out two weeks after AI, leave bull in for only 45 days and ship all opens.

Unless they are already cycling you will be disappointed by going through with this. Very few will come into heat after you pull the CIDR's if they are not cycling before you start the snyc program. Agree with Knersie that you should only do one round of AI if your goal is to move them up. Doing two rounds will string them out.

I usually insert Cidr's in the 45 day range . I always thought it was a great way to sync a group of cows and in my opinion nothing jump starts heats any better on beef cows suckling calves. About three years ago I had a group I was doing and a cow that had calved 30 days before was in it and I went ahead and cidred her, she had a good strong heat and AIed her and she went from having the last calf that year to the first calf the next. It works for me to insert Cidr on Wednesday with Gnrh, pull, lutalyse and Estrus Alert patch the following Wednesday with heats starting on Friday and rest of weekend.

Latest posts