Serpents say Sssssss

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms said:
ga.prime said:
I saw a rattlesnake at least 5 feet long crossing a 5 lane highway in front of the state patrol station. I think he made it across because when I came back by there wasn't any sign a squshed snake.

I hope it was heading towards the HP station. There about use less unless you need to be harassed.

I hear a rattlesnake in a deadbeats truck can cause them to pay their bill. I wouldn't know anything about that. Just something I've heard.

True Grit Farms said:
ga.prime said:
I saw a rattlesnake at least 5 feet long crossing a 5 lane highway in front of the state patrol station. I think he made it across because when I came back by there wasn't any sign a squshed snake.

I hope it was heading towards the HP station. There about use less unless you need to be harassed.

No, toward the RR tracks.

Speaking of copperheads, we don't have many here but someone was saying if you got close to a copperhead you might smell cucumbers. Sounds like BS to me but they are rare here so I don't know. Any truth in that or is it BS.

Jogeephus said:
Speaking of copperheads, we don't have many here but someone was saying if you got close to a copperhead you might smell cucumbers. Sounds like BS to me but they are rare here so I don't know. Any truth in that or is it BS.

We do have copperheads here. I have killed a few of them. I have sniffed none of them.

Jogeephus said:

That saying is as old as the hills. Books written in the 1700s mention that copperheads smell like cucumbers. All snakes emit a musk. The musk is as a rule obnoxious. I have handled copperheads and the musk has never reminded me of cucumbers.

An old Indian man told my Uncle, when the indian came to find and remove a diamond back from his tent, that the diamond back smell like chickens. He found the snake so he must know something. :lol:

HDRider said:
Jogeephus said:

We do have copperheads here. I have killed a few of them. I have sniffed none of them.

Can't say I've ever noticed either.

callmefence said:
True Grit Farms said:
ga.prime said:

I hear a rattlesnake in a deadbeats truck can cause them to pay their bill. I wouldn't know anything about that. Just something I've heard.

I would imagine that I would cause "something". Local fellow here a few years back couldn't keep the crackheads out of his toolbox. But he hired a local diamondback to do it for him. Worked too.

Here people have been working hard to put rattlesnakes on the endangered species list since 1843. It hasn't worked yet but we aren't quitters.

hurleyjd said:
callmefence said:
Red and yellow kill a fellow.
Released unharmed..

You sure that was a king snake instead of a coral snake. The tail of a coral has only black and yellow bands.

He is sure. That was the point of:

Red rings touching yellow mean coral.

Red rings touching black means Scarlet Kingsnake.

A better picture of the Callmefence Coral Snake

One of the locals says that the bull snakes are out about two weeks before the rattlers. Well I have seen a bunch of bull snakes over the last two weeks. So......
We do make the bull snakes show ID. At first glance they look too much like a rattler.

Bright Raven said:
hurleyjd said:
callmefence said:
Red and yellow kill a fellow.
Released unharmed..

You sure that was a king snake instead of a coral snake. The tail of a coral has only black and yellow bands.

I was thinking king snake because Fence stated he released it.

hurleyjd said:
Bright Raven said:
hurleyjd said:

I was thinking king snake because Fence stated he released it.

He did release it. Coral snakes are venomous but they rarely cause any deaths or injury since they are not aggressive to bite and their rigid fangs are not designed for effective biting.

Fence is a great conservationist. That coral snake ain't gonna hurt nobody.

No deaths reported in North America in the last 50 years.

Yesterday we turned the water into the irrigation ditch. When that happens all the neighbors gather and as the water is coming down the ditch we use pitch forks to clear out any debris as it is washing down stream. A couple days ago we burnt the dead grass and brush along the ditch. So yesterday one of the pitch fork crew found a large rattler who didn't run fast enough to get away from the fire. I was happy to see it.

When we found that burnt snake Neighbor B said it was the only one on my property. He lied. I killed a bigger one today not too far from where the burnt one was at. Ten rattles and two buttons. A big snake for this area.

Latest posts