Semen Testing Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We had BSEs done on all our bulls yesterday. The vet called this morning and said that one had a bunch of bent tails, and another had pus in his semen. He says to give the one with the infection 4 treatments with micotil and retest in a month. And just to give the other about 3-4 weeks and retest. Problem is that in a month there won't be many bulls left on the market and I don't really want to be stuck with a leftover bull because of this.

So..are these bulls likely to test good in a month, or should we just cut our losses now?

I have only heard of a couple that had abnormal semen and they both tested good later but the infection I don't know about

The one that had pus when I tested passed his second test but is going to town when I find him as halfway through the season his nuts blew up like a basketball. When I went back to get him two weeks later the swelling was gone but I just don't trust him anymore.

the way your bull market is on replacement bulls id cull those 2 bulls now.this way you can buy bore they get picked over.

I've never heard of pus in a sample. I wouldn't even start treatment at these bull prices. Bye-bye.

If the other bull is an older bull, I wouldn't screw around with him either.

What I can't understand, is why your vet doesn't have a microscope with him chute-side? Then at least if there was a concern, he could take a 2nd sample, or even a 3rd.

Pus in the semen is not that uncommon and Micotil is a VERY effective treatment for that. However when we used it on our bulls we only gave one dose and tested in 10 days to 2 weeks.

Works most of the time.

BTW I don't have to tell you how dangerous that drug is. Be VERY CAREFUL

Bent tails....................I'd ship him unless he's something real special.

Thank you guys. One bull is coming 2 and the other 3. The 2 year old has the infection and the 3 year old has the bent tails. Neither are big mature bulls that are going to bring top market prices. They are in decent shape, but not grown up....lol...If they were big mature bulls, well they'd probably just go without any major questions...

He does have a microscope chute side, to do the preliminary examination. To do the more detailed stuff, he takes it back to the clinic. These aren't bulls that needed a second sample, but bulls with issues that may or may not clear up with treatment and/or time.

As far as micotil, I really hate using the stuff... Way too dangerous IMO.

randiliana":1otnod7p said:
Thank you guys. One bull is coming 2 and the other 3. The 2 year old has the infection and the 3 year old has the bent tails. Neither are big mature bulls that are going to bring top market prices. They are in decent shape, but not grown up....lol...If they were big mature bulls, well they'd probably just go without any major questions...

He does have a microscope chute side, to do the preliminary examination. To do the more detailed stuff, he takes it back to the clinic. These aren't bulls that needed a second sample, but bulls with issues that may or may not clear up with treatment and/or time.

As far as micotil, I really hate using the stuff... Way too dangerous IMO.

I guess it should be thought of like this:

With calves hitting $1000+, how many missed cows does it take to pay for a working bull? Now take the value of the old bull off that amount. Looks pretty meaningless at that point.

Of course you could keep both of them and give me a call later in the summer when you need a bull. :p

I understand what you are getting at for sure Aaron, and these 2 certainly won't be going out with the cows unless I'm 100% sure that they are good. All I wanted to know is whether there is a good chance that they will be good if treated and/or given time or, if chances are pretty good that they won't be. I don't want to be stuck later looking for a QUALITY bull when all the bull sales are gone by. I'm sure that I would be able to find A bull that is tested and good to go, just maybe not the quality that I want. And, I don't see the reason to cull out a young bull if he's going to be fine with treatment/time.

As far as it goes, we are leaning towards culling the 3 year old (he has the bent tails) as we have other issues with him, (not related to breeding).

Latest posts