Semen Tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

lucky7chief

Reaction score
I am just starting to AI so trying to keep my startup costs under control. I don't need a huge tank as I will eventually breed less than 100 annually at most all in a one month period. Does anyone have experience with Vevor tanks? Thinking about the 10 liter. What should I be looking for?

That 10-liter dewar will be a headache. You posted a link for the product. At the bottom of the page are customer reviews. Here's part of the review by Repco:
"Canisters are only half height: about 5" to 6"...will not work with how we store semen in our market: in full height canes of about 11" tall"

Here are some photos to explain what Repco is talking about. This is a cane. When you buy semen it will be in a straw. The straws will be in the plastic globets on the cane. Straws can be either size 1/4cc or 1/2cc. A goblet can hold 10 x 1/4cc straws or 5 x 1/2cc straws. Here is a picture of a canister and a cane.

Per Repco the canisters in a Vevor 10-liter dewar are only 6" tall. You would have to cut your canes in half to get them to fit in that Vevor dewar. You don't want to deal with that.

Two common dewar brands are MVE and Worthington. Common models are MVE XC 20 and Worthington AI24. Each sell for about $580.

You also need liquid nitrogen. One option is contract-fill through a semen company. If you are also purchasing semen you may be eligible for a discount. Or you can purchase from a welding supplier or Praxair.

Some people only fill their dewar tank when they need it. The rest of the year they store the semen at an AI center and pay a storage fee. And they don't worry about the dewar tank going dry. Hope this helps.

That 10-liter dewar will be a headache. You posted a link for the product. At the bottom of the page are customer reviews. Here's part of the review by Repco:
"Canisters are only half height: about 5" to 6"...will not work with how we store semen in our market: in full height canes of about 11" tall"

Here are some photos to explain what Repco is talking about. This is a cane. When you buy semen it will be in a straw. The straws will be in the plastic globets on the cane. Straws can be either size 1/4cc or 1/2cc. A goblet can hold 10 x 1/4cc straws or 5 x 1/2cc straws. Here is a picture of a canister and a cane.

Per Repco the canisters in a Vevor 10-liter dewar are only 6" tall. You would have to cut your canes in half to get them to fit in that Vevor dewar. You don't want to deal with that.

Two common dewar brands are MVE and Worthington. Common models are MVE XC 20 and Worthington AI24. Each sell for about $580.

You also need liquid nitrogen. One option is contract-fill through a semen company. If you are also purchasing semen you may be eligible for a discount. Or you can purchase from a welding supplier or Praxair.

Some people only fill their dewar tank when they need it. The rest of the year they store the semen at an AI center and pay a storage fee. And they don't worry about the dewar tank going dry. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I saw that comment and didn't fully understand it.

We bought one a few years back and have only used it for one year. You will have to have someone fill it every so often and take the risk of it failing. For us we order our straws in Aug or September through our ABS rep and he keeps the straws in his tank until we breed in late Nov. He also does our AI breeding so it works out great. He doesn't charge anything to store our straws so its cheaper and less headache of having your own tank. Just an option that may be available to you.

Latest posts