Semen Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

Hutch

Reaction score
I have noticed in some adds for semen it will be advertised as "flush quality"
I remember when I took my AI class we were told of a code on the straw that makes the semen quality available to testing at any given time. What is the difference in "flush quality" and say semen bought from Select Sires?

Don;t know about flush quality unless maybe it is put up at a higher concentration. The other deal you're talking about is CSS certified. All of the semen we use is CSS certified and it's from Select Sires, Genex and ABS

http://www.naab-css.org/

dun

never heard of flush quality semen before, and I sell it. sounds like someones new marketing ploy.

I've been seeing a lot of this disclaimer now too
"...employees and/or agents do not guarantee conception rates, quality of productivity to be obtained in the connection with the use of its products or recommended techniques. It makes no warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, which extends beyond the description of its products and hereby disclaims all warranties or merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose..."

Kinda ticks me off. I have had a go-round with a company that sent out shippers that went bad and to top it off the collected bad semen with horrible motility. They pointed me to a disclaimer similer to this one. Which tells me that natural service is going to quickly become the way to go, again.

My collection facility won't but up questionable semen. Of 75 bulls a month or two ago only about 15 or so were freezing they said. As winter sets in most will go to working.

Hutch wrote:
" oh no not advantage... "

What is wrong with Advantage? Do they sell bad semen or what. Just curious have been thinking of buying some off of there.

bulldealer":2wd9h3ik said:
Hutch wrote:

What is wrong with Advantage? Do they sell bad semen or what. Just curious have been thinking of buying some off of there.
Advantage Cattle doesn't sell semen. They list it for the individual that has it for sale. You buy it from the owner and pay said owner. Advantage collects a commission for listing the semen after it's sold.

bulldealer":2rng4thq said:
Hutch wrote:

No I said that. I shouldn't have spouted off it the attitude just stems from a personal conflict with Mr. Weaver.
bif
I retract my statement

I would probably bet some of that semen is coming from Interglobe Genetics. They're not the world's foremost leader in semen production.

That Advantage operation is a free lance semen sales deal. I'm guessing that a part of there inventory that they are selling is collected at a place called Interglobe Genetics. The owners of the bull have them collected at interglobe and then put their inventory up for sale through Advantage. I tryed to pull the site back up to take a closer look at it, but it wuldn't load.

Back to the original question. There is really no such thing as "flush quality" semen, it is either really fertile, or it's junk. To say that your semen is necessarily super sperm is hog wash.
If it was collected at interglobe, I can almost guarantee you it is not super sperm. Hope that clarified. LOL

semen demon":l1l9gy3u said:
That Advantage operation is a free lance semen sales deal. I'm guessing that a part of there inventory that they are selling is collected at a place called Interglobe Genetics. The owners of the bull have them collected at interglobe and then put their inventory up for sale through Advantage. I tryed to pull the site back up to take a closer look at it, but it wuldn't load.

Back to the original question. There is really no such thing as "flush quality" semen, it is either really fertile, or it's junk. To say that your semen is necessarily super sperm is hog wash.
If it was collected at interglobe, I can almost guarantee you it is not super sperm. Hope that clarified. LOL

Thank you Mr. Demon :clap:

I believe you clarified quite well.

With modern technology, there is absolutely no reason for a collection center to freeze inferior semen unless the bulls themselves will not produce it.

Counting cells in bull semen
Instrument enables for semen collection centres and processing facilities to perform fast, objective and highly reliable cell counts, ensuring the correct cell concentrations in the final semen doses
Note: A free brochure or catalogue is available from Chemometec on the products in this news release. Click here to request a copy.

ChemoMetec says it NucleoCounter SP-100 is a cost effective, accurate and precise semen analyser, used to count the number of sperm cells in bull semen. The instrument is sold worldwide and suitable for counting on ejaculates as well as checking the final quality of the semen-straws. Often egg yolks are used as extender.

The NucleoCounter SP-100 has no problem counting the number of cells in straw using this extender, says the company.

The NucleoCounter SP-100 has made it possible for semen collection centres and semen-processing facilities to perform fast, objective and highly reliable cell counts, which ensure the correct cell concentrations in the final semen doses.

The benefits obtained for the AI centres include optimisation of the number of doses per ejaculates, test on final doses for improving the quality control, and no costs for service, calibration, or maintenance.

The problem is that these machines are VERY expensive and a lot of smaller collection facilities are still using extremely dated technology.

if you want to talk about crappy semen, lets talk about sexed semen. Which is advertised as NOT flush quality and also not to be used on lactating females also the conception rates are terribly low and you have to coin up 45 clams for a ten dollar bull

Sexed semen is an interesting subject. The technology is not ready for it yet but it's coming. Have you used any?

ABS is coming out with some new stuff that is suppost to have 60% conceptions with 80% heifer accuracy. Only time will tell, but as of current, stay away from that crap. Monsanto announced thier new sexed semen, but refuse to give out any numbers on it. Makes me assume it's junk too. That technology is on it's way, it's only a matter of time.

I have read a little about sexed semen but I'm pretty sure the "latest" innovations of 10 years ago have come and gone.

At one time they thought they had it figured out that some type of amino acid - natural in cows would kill one sex of the sperm over the other leaving one of the sexes predominant...............

I guess it didn't work............

Maybe that only Koreans can know the difference like they do in chickens.......... ;-)

Latest posts