selling off the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I notice that there are some backgrounders or traders on the board that may be buying a number of calves yearly? If so, I'm wondering how many of you have cow/calf people that you buy calves off the farm? And if you do, how are you coming to an agreement? Do you just make an offer? Do you go off of a local (or not so local, depending) auction report?
The other auction thread got me to thinking about it. I have reason to believe there are some calves being sold according to what the weighted average was in the appropriate wt class, using the weight closest to what the calves weighed. Example:
Report: Weighted average report

Feeder Steers Medium and Large 1
Head Wt Range Avg Wt Price Range Avg Price

38 550-585 564 262.00-276.00 270.69

If your calves weighed 555, they would pay the same per pound if they weighed 564 (the flip side is realized as well, 580's selling for the cost of 564's?). Calves would be weighed either by truckload, or individually on the buyers place if possible, and the average taken for heifer and steers, respectively, and the associated weighted average for each would be used.

What's you thoughts on this arrangement? The barn this sale will be based off of is a little jag away, couple hours, not what I consider local, but a bigger sale. I have talked to some of the past sellers and they believe they have gotten a 0.14 cent premium by doing this. I am wondering how the quality of calves get taken into account with this set up. Maybe a guy wouldn't have the top sellers there, but might be higher than average? I haven't seen this setup discussed before, so have at it.
Also, if possible, tell me what kind of process you use personally when selling off the farm.

Personally I take into account the current market rate and also the condition of the calf and what I am buying. If I am buying to put weight on then sell I have to buy it at a deal and generally speaking the sellers off the farm want top dollar and then some. I haven't had much luck with buying off the farm for calves. I don't sell calves off the farm much it becomes a headache sometimes.

Completely off topic but do you know if west plains is still selling 500+ breds a week like they were a couple years ago

Ojp6":1ux6oi8p said:
Completely off topic but do you know if west plains is still selling 500+ breds a week like they were a couple years ago
Been running 500 to 1000 at the cow sale, not over 500 bred most sales, and defiantly not that many good cows.

denvermartinfarms":1hh50mj7 said:
What barn are you going off of? West plains?

Yes sir. That's correct.

My calves are getting bigger. I am watching to not let them get too fat, maybe to my disadvantage, but I think they will be better for the buyer to go on with backgrounding them. I know these calves well, the holes in each one and their past issues are recorded, what treatments they have had, etc. Two rounds of shots, knife cut, will be weaned the last of the month or mid April at the latest. I know everybody is probably pretty proud of their calves and I may think they are better than they are. I am also thinking of going with an online auction or craigs with them to see what happens. As is, West Plains weighted average, no shrink, no shipping, no commission. I think I'm doing good, probably better than most in this area, but don't want to leave money on the table after really trying to do my part to make sure these calves are good to go.

I'm probably putting too much info out there now that I think about it, buy am very curious as to what's acceptable and commonly taking place. I don't want to sound unappreciative of my current setup. That's not what this is about. Just curious and wanting to get all I can get, while supplying all I can supply.

Do you have a scale? And if you don't mind me asking do you have alot of these calves that are uniform enough to sell in one shot? For a inline auction you can't have just a few.

Craigslist may not work to well, not alot of regular buyers are going to come to your farm to buy cattle at market value if you don't have a large group. I think you may have told me before, but how Far East are you? It may be that taking these to a sale is going to be best for you, just trying to help.

Would you sell at West Plains if you were selling on the market? If so and you can get that average with no comission, no shipping, and no shrink is a great deal for you. That must mean you are weighing them on your farm, correct?
Almost all load lots we shrink 2% and then at the very least there is a weigh bill if they are hauled somewhere to be weighed.

Latest posts