Selling freezer beef: pricing

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
How much would you suggest raising the price on the meat from market value? They'd obviously have to pay atleast for market value and for butchering fees. I want to make money off of it, but then again I don't want to screw anyone over. So whats a good amount to raise per pound?

Just as a starting point for discussion I will tell you that people around here price their beef at the same price as hanging beef on the day of slaughter plus 2-5 cents per pound hanging weight and the customer pays the processing charges.And the customer picks up the beef at the locker when it is ready. Whatever you charge within reason people will pay for meat if they can identify the source of it. Alot of people sell by whole, half or half of half at the same price per pound of beef. The half of half lets people have cuts from the forequarter and hindquarter and you don't get stuck with 3/4 of an animal sold and the only buyer left, is looking for the quarter you don't have. I am sure others have other experiences to share but this is one way to begin looking at it. Good Luck. JLP

Thanks, I was thinking off adding on 5 cents a pound. One of of my steers is going in to be butchered on the 31st; my parents and one of my brothers is buying half and someone else is buying the other half. I have no plan on adding any cost to the meat being sold within my family just to the other people.
Thanks again