Selling Fall calves tomorrow!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
We have decided to haul our fall steer calves to sale barn tomorrow. Was going to keep them til fall this year, but the outlook for the fall here keeps getting more uncertain. The last 3 weeks here have ticked up and up. Weighed the steer Saturday and we were pleased with the weights. 40 Steer averaged 684#. We have had just the right amount of rain so our grass is as good as it's ever been. Hoping tomorrow will be at least as good as last week. Is there anyone else selling this week and how's to he markets elsewhere???????

I hauled mine to OKC West on Sunday. I watched the sale at the National Stockyards this morning for a couple of hours until I got depressed. Prices were very weak. They were still selling when I got home so watched some of it on the Internet. Prices had firmed up but were still slightly lower than last week. This video down in the bottom right corner is a pretty good report of what I saw.

https://www.onsy.com/market-report/

One thing I noticed was how many poor looking calves were on the yard. It seems the quality is really down this year. Wet conditions may have something to do with it. The pens are muddy and a lot of the calves are too.

My heifers and steers both averaged right at 700 lbs when I weighed them before I left. They may sell tomorrow but probably on Wednesday. They are good long weaned calves but I'm not to optimistic. They are eating extremely well so at least they shouldn't shrink.

Sold a couple steers Wednesday that averaged 640 lbs at $1.32 I was happy considering the prices. All our calves sold really good besides one. My thinking is, if the buyers can beat every seller out of a $100 dollars on one calf the buyers have done good. I really think the buyers take turns screwing the producers.

Coosh71 said:
We have decided to haul our fall steer calves to sale barn tomorrow. Was going to keep them til fall this year, but the outlook for the fall here keeps getting more uncertain. The last 3 weeks here have ticked up and up. Weighed the steer Saturday and we were pleased with the weights. 40 Steer averaged 684#. We have had just the right amount of rain so our grass is as good as it's ever been. Hoping tomorrow will be at least as good as last week. Is there anyone else selling this week and how's to he markets elsewhere???????
Im going to guess 1.35

kenny thomas said:
Not selling but buying a hand full. Market is stale here.
Good luck, where are you selling?

Kenny, we are heading to Beaver livestock auction in Beaver, Ok. They have been ticking up last couple weeks so hope we can do better than when we were wanting to sell a month ago.

Coosh71 said:
kenny thomas said:
Not selling but buying a hand full. Market is stale here.
Good luck, where are you selling?

Kenny, we are heading to Beaver livestock auction in Beaver, Ok. They have been ticking up last couple weeks so hope we can do better than when we were wanting to sell a month ago.
Not familiar with that one, will look it up

kenny thomas said:
Looks like a pretty good haul? Is it better than Woodward?

They are comparable. Woodward is a little bigger sale, but we have always done as well in Beaver as some around here have done at Woodward.

Coosh71 said:

I was debating the same thing. We were getting dry and I dont like to take chances. I would much rather sell early, keep the cows in good shape, beat the flush, and live to fight another day.

kenny thomas said:
Coosh71 said:
Im going to guess 1.35

Kenny, sale barn scales had us at an avg of 676# (biggest group). They sold for $1.50/#. Real happy with that. This is way later in the year for us to sell fall born calves. Guy that bought them said they were best looking calves he had seen today. I'd agree lol.

Coosh71 said:
kenny thomas said:
Coosh71 said:
Im going to guess 1.35

Kenny, sale barn scales had us at an avg of 676# (biggest group). They sold for $1.50/#. Real happy with that. This is way later in the year for us to sell fall born calves. Guy that bought them said they were best looking calves he had seen today. I'd agree lol.

Told you good cattle were easy to sell, only thing wrong with yours is you need more! Happy for you.

Thanks! I do put a lot into our cows and as well into our calves. They get the best grass at weaning for however long it takes before we decide to sell. We started weaning a little early in our spring groups a couple years ago for that reAson. Still green grass in late August/September. By the time we sell to wheat farmers our calves are grazing machines. Makes them easy to sell around here.