selling a 3 mo old bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
guy buys feed from me..wants a cheap bull. its a beefmaster but only 3 mos old..born feb 2nd.
only wanted to pay 400$ so I told him id sell him..''that one''. he said ok good. wants to pick it up tonight right offa momma.
guys got one heifer he wants to keep it with.
I mean its ok by me but I wouldn't normally sell anything so early but he wants one cheap and I told him that's the only way ..specially since we are in a drought and im selling off already to save grass.
I haven't worked it at all. no shots no tag nothing...offa momma onto the trlr

what ya think..i think its a trainwreck but the customer is always right
 

M-5

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
7,338
Reaction score
3
Location
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
at 3 mths the calf will be ok , it will take about a week before the separation anxiety is gone and he starts eating half way decent , it will look like Shyt by then but he can bounce back. All you can do is advise him on it if you want to sell it. but the calf will need to be fed a quality feed to keep him from becoming pot bellied and for him to continue to grow. I have a 3mth old that I had to shoot the mama a couple weeks ago and he is starting to look better after that first week. It can be done.
 

TennesseeTuxedo

Active Patriot
Joined
Jul 9, 2011
Messages
16,892
Reaction score
1,247
Location
Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Txpiney":2t8qugrl said:
I would wait till weaning to sell and get at least sale barn price. But that's just me

Not piling on but I have refused on numerous occasions to pull one early to sell private treaty. I always say that momma has a job to do and I'm going to let her do it. That being said I haven't managed our cattle in drought conditions.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
2
Location
MO Ozarks
callmefence":1vkld7ww said:
Red Bull Breeder":1vkld7ww said:
It is a train wreck waiting to happen. No the customer isn't always right.

Yep . anybody that runs a business will tell you. The customer is seldom right.

When the train crashes it'll be your name that gets tarnished.
T
Wise words
 
OP
dieselbeef

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
well ive had the '''its gonna need extra feed and probably milk replacer mixed in for 3-4 mos and it is a live animal and if it dies it isn't my fault once it leaves here '' talk with him and he is persistent about buying it. I kinda wanna back out but he is making me keep my word when we first talked about it.
im not gong to keep it any longer and sell it so cheap. he thinks hes doing great for getting such a deal but he wont pay any more money for a better calf. if he would go 600 id give it to him off the monmma at 6 mos but he wont pay more than 400 so I told him come get this one...now im kinda in a fix cuz I really don't wanna sell it so young but I really need to keep my word also.
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
1,991
Reaction score
86
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
The calf will do fine IF he does his part. That seems questionable, but it sounds like everyone will know who the real problem was if he ever complains about it down the road.
 

Bestoutwest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2012
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
1
Location
Idaho
dieselbeef":2jh53wh2 said:
well ive had the '''its gonna need extra feed and probably milk replacer mixed in for 3-4 mos and it is a live animal and if it dies it isn't my fault once it leaves here '' talk with him and he is persistent about buying it. I kinda wanna back out but he is making me keep my word when we first talked about it.
im not gong to keep it any longer and sell it so cheap. he thinks hes doing great for getting such a deal but he wont pay any more money for a better calf. if he would go 600 id give it to him off the monmma at 6 mos but he wont pay more than 400 so I told him come get this one...now im kinda in a fix cuz I really don't wanna sell it so young but I really need to keep my word also.

Who is this guy? Is he a friend? Just a guy you know? What's the worst that happens if you refuse? If he tries to run your name through the mud, smart people will tell him he's an idiot and your standing in the 'community' may grow. If you're uncomfortable, you don't have to do it unless you've signed a contract. If it's a handshake deal, just tell him the animal died and never let him near your place again. I would be more concerned with him ruining the calf people looking at it knowing it came from you. I wouldn't brand it if you haven't already.
 
OP
dieselbeef

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
he should do the right thing. I just wonder since he only has one other cow at his place. he buys feed from me for his animals so he's been around awhile. don't know anything about him other than talking to him tho.
yes its a handshake deal. I guess I could bail on the deal but that's just breaking a deal i made to me.
if it was going to the barn I guess it wouldn't matter would it. except I might see this guy again for feed and would like him to be a happy customer.
If he didn't seem so intent on having it id just talk him out of it but I guess a deals a deal and the guys acts like a kid getting a new bicycle. he says he only has the 400$ to spend and want s some of my stock..thats why he is going to end up with a 400$ 20 week old instead of a 750$ 6 mo old.
worked myself into a bind I guess I just gotta hope for the best.

if I hold him off another month would it be worth it to the calf..even tho it might cost me a bit more? I might feel better about that...
 

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
19,719
Reaction score
571
Location
Cleveland Tx
I agree it could end up a wreck, but maybe the guy needs to pay the 'stupid tax' to learn..
When I buy anything, once it's in my truck or trailer, it's mine and my problem unless it comes with a pretty tight guarantee from the seller--whether it be an animal or piece of equipment.
If it dies on the way home, well, MY calf died.
All you can do is forewarn the guy DB, and hope he raises it and feeds it right.
Sounds like you've already done all you can.
 

RanchMan90

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
1,320
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeast Oklahoma
3 months is fine. If you want a peace of mind start it on feed for the man. That's why I don't sell bottle calves in the country anymore is the liability. I hate getting calls a month later that the calf died because they didn't know how to take care of it. Since then I will only sell weaned preconditioned calves to individuals :2cents:
 
OP
dieselbeef

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
well I got him to take it in a month..im taking a lickin on it pricewise I think but I wont work it or anything and hes gonna haul it so we agreed the end of this month...

could've just done the deal but I just didn't feel right ..if something happened I dont need the grief..and I gotta say it was for the animals sake as much as my own..customer..meh

I do biz the same way gb but not everyone does...and its usually the ones without a clue
 

BK9954

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2015
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
dieselbeef":2hc68qm0 said:
well ive had the '''its gonna need extra feed and probably milk replacer mixed in for 3-4 mos and it is a live animal and if it dies it isn't my fault once it leaves here '' talk with him and he is persistent about buying it. I kinda wanna back out but he is making me keep my word when we first talked about it.
im not gong to keep it any longer and sell it so cheap. he thinks hes doing great for getting such a deal but he wont pay any more money for a better calf. if he would go 600 id give it to him off the monmma at 6 mos but he wont pay more than 400 so I told him come get this one...now im kinda in a fix cuz I really don't wanna sell it so young but I really need to keep my word also.
Your word is your bond. But I would have told him after $400 and feed cost he could probably buy a cheap bull feom the auction if thats all he wants. But $400 might be better then sale barn price right now since your not paying commission. Some guys are darn persistant but oh well, they live and they learn.
 

boondocks

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2013
Messages
2,594
Reaction score
0
Location
Upstate NY
dieselbeef":d6688dw6 said:
not here...live and learn
Agreed. I got a registered 2.75yo heavy bred angus cow for sale for 2k (and would probably take a bit less). Out of a great registered AI bull and bred to another one. She's already calved once, right at age 2, and will calve again right at age 3. (Only selling her cause we keep getting heifers and are overstocked). Have gotten ZERO nibbles. Guess I need to send her even further north!
 

Latest posts

Top