Sell or Hold.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
I have 20 heifer calves ready to sell. And just wondering what some of y'all would do with the market dropping like it is. I'm going to hold them back and see what happens in a month or so. But there's a lot of options you can do with heifers. Just fishing for some ideas. Thanks.

With heifers, your in a good position. I don't think we'll see more than a 20 cent drop lower.

I would hold them until March or April. I believe the price will be up by then.

I would hold them I have a load of bull calves steers and heifers that can go now but id like to add a lil more weight on them they are right in the 325-375lb range but I am holding them until march. I think as m5 said when grass starts to grow so will the prices. I say hold off unless you truly need to offload them due to hay constraints or what have you.

TennesseeTuxedo":13l9yxkv said:
denvermartinfarms":13l9yxkv said:
Hold them. How big are they now?

My plan is to sell 22 of them off the farm as replacements this summer when they are about 13-15 months old and retain 12 of them that are a little older and bred already as replacements for our own herd.
You would be better off breeding them and then selling in 2nd to earl 3rd stage

Angus Cowman":2rx3cksw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2rx3cksw said:
denvermartinfarms":2rx3cksw said:
Hold them. How big are they now?

My plan is to sell 22 of them off the farm as replacements this summer when they are about 13-15 months old and retain 12 of them that are a little older and bred already as replacements for our own herd.
You would be better off breeding them and then selling in 2nd to earl 3rd stage

Been giving that some serious consideration as well AC, thanks for the suggestion.

TennesseeTuxedo":27zv2nc7 said:
Been giving that some serious consideration as well AC, thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, if your going to sell them at 15 months, I would just put them with a bull and sell them about 6 months later. In that time you might decide you need to keep them anyway.

denvermartinfarms":39rc9s0i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":39rc9s0i said:
Yes, if your going to sell them at 15 months, I would just put them with a bull and sell them about 6 months later. In that time you might decide you need to keep them anyway.

That's what worries me Denver, we've become collectors of cattle rather than sellers already!

TennesseeTuxedo":301fz6v8 said:
denvermartinfarms":301fz6v8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":301fz6v8 said:

That's what worries me Denver, we've become collectors of cattle rather than sellers already!
I can think of worse things to collect :lol2:. I really Don't think that's a bad way to go, then at a point cull everything down to where you want to be and just have the very best.

TennesseeTuxedo":bmi5kgyc said:
I understand, and agree with you, but one thing I must watch out for is that we don't overstock our land/grass.
Yes that's for sure. You don't gain yourself anything by doing that.

denvermartinfarms":jk0fb260 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":jk0fb260 said:
I understand, and agree with you, but one thing I must watch out for is that we don't overstock our land/grass.
Yes that's for sure. You don't gain yourself anything by doing that.

No, not at all. We're running pretty close to max capacity already.

Latest posts