Sell or Hold?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Have a 10 month old bull & heifer. Bull weighs about 750 and heifer prob 550. I can get hay from a friend for $15/roll. Given that, it will cost me about $100 to get me to May 1st. The bull is out of registered stock and I would kindof like to see how he grows out, but other than that they will be sold. What do you guys think, haul em or hold em?

Arkieman":4s6bvwwh said:
Have a 10 month old bull & heifer. Bull weighs about 750 and heifer prob 550. I can get hay from a friend for $15/roll. Given that, it will cost me about $100 to get me to May 1st. The bull is out of registered stock and I would kindof like to see how he grows out, but other than that they will be sold. What do you guys think, haul em or hold em?

What will "seeing how he grows out" tell you? Just curious.

MikeC":3v6tl5z1 said:
Arkieman":3v6tl5z1 said:

What will "seeing how he grows out" tell you? Just curious.

If it only cost $100 to hold them, consider the weight gain over that period. Doubt that you'll lose anything. Nevertheless, if he has potential, you should know by now. I am with Mike on this thought. You must be thinking something about that end since he is not a steer already. If someone had their eye on him for a herd bull, my guess is he would have already been gone. If you're not going to use him as a bull, steer him and ben done with it. Its just business.

I don't see what the debate is. Who buys 1000 pound bulls at the stockyard? IF you have no intention of keeping them for breeders at those weights they should already be gone.

Brandonm2":1e5rjs8l said:
I don't see what the debate is. Who buys 1000 pound bulls at the stockyard? IF you have no intention of keeping them for breeders at those weights they should already be gone.

I think he was considering the prices being down at the moment. Check his locale and rumor for prices in that proximity. Since they are not already gone, now he has to consider his best option. If it were me, I'd hold 'em.

backhoeboogie":3ezguidw said:
Brandonm2":3ezguidw said:

I think he was considering the prices being down at the moment. Check his locale and rumor for prices in that proximity. Since they are not already gone, now he has to consider his best option. If it were me, I'd hold 'em.

I can't talk about Texas and it has been too many years since I lived in Arkansas; but around here....price per pound plummetts when they get past ~650 to 700. A 1000 pound yearling bull at the stockyard will bring ~cull bull price NOT feeder calf price.

Brandonm2":3hnen4q0 said:
backhoeboogie":3hnen4q0 said:
Brandonm2":3hnen4q0 said:

I can't talk about Texas and it has been too many years since I lived in Arkansas; but around here....price per pound plummetts when they get past ~650 to 700. A 1000 pound yearling bull at the stockyard will bring ~cull bull price NOT feeder calf price.

That's the kind of stuff I was looking for.

My only experience w/ cattle was w/ my grandpa and we bought yearlings in the Spring and sold in the Fall. As far as seeing the bull grow out... He's not top-shelf, but just for kicks I'd like to see how he develops (or doesn't develop). He doesn't have enough rear for me, but how many Herefords do? (unless he's standing in front of the Denver Stock show banner).

Locally, the bull would bring in the $80-$85 range and the heifer would probably bring $90. Probably need to go - crap they may go and break a leg or something...

You can always use my time proven method of making hard decisions. Flip a coin, just be sure you call it in the air.

dun":2aocgqq2 said:
You can always use my time proven method of making hard decisions. Flip a coin, just be sure you call it in the air.

Bet you'd be right at least 50% of the time!! Thanks for all the input, just trying to learn some of the thought processes that go into these types of decisions.

After rereading my above post about Herefords, I can't believe noone has called me out. Is that what everyone else sees? I went to the local Hereford sale this past week (same place I purchased the momma to this bull last year). Prices were a little off from last year. I like the cow, she's a good momma, but this year we AI'd her to the Maine bull Ice Chest http://www.semexusa.com/beef/beef.aspx?breed=MA&ID=1440 to hopefully thicken her calf up. I didn't need a registered cow, but we'd just moved to the country and knew we wanted a few cows and my son said I like Herefords and next thing you know we've got one. We later bought 6 Angus heifers and AI'd them to the Maine bull Ali .http://www.semexusa.com/beef/beef.aspx?breed=MA&ID=1424 . Fella that AI'd them had been using Ali on his heifers and said they come small & easy plus they grow off nice. We'll see

With thoes hay prices...I'd see about adding a little grain and feed them over the winter and see how they look for the freezer this comming fall. Dmc

Susie David":q9x2a12g said:
With thoes hay prices...I'd see about adding a little grain and feed them over the winter and see how they look for the freezer this comming fall. Dmc

Do you mean for personal consumption or for sale? I've had a few folks ask about freezer beef, but I felt like I needed to take it slow for awhile before I tried to develop a market locally. I figure it's like everything else, everyone wants some until you tell them the price :shock:

Customer education is the key to selling beef to a specialty market. Alot of posts on the subject.
I'd feed them out and let your friends and family know what you have for sale....who knows, you could be starting a booming business.
Dmc

Latest posts