sell now or wait

Help Support CattleToday:

newcattleman

Reaction score
I got a few black angus heifers that are 4-500 lbs. Should I sell them now or hold on to them a little longer? If wait should I sell at 6-700 lbs. or 800+ for replacements? Whats the market going to do?

newcattleman":lfox4ybx said:
I got a few black angus heifers that are 4-500 lbs. Should I sell them now or hold on to them a little longer? If wait should I sell at 6-700 lbs. or 800+ for replacements? Whats the market going to do?
I have a current post on Coffee Shop, this site -- WHAT WOULD YOU BUY RIGHT NOW, TODAY? See that, and carry on. (You don't say what prices are in your area, for the critters you're thinking about selling.)

sorry the Jan. 1st sale 477lbs. went for 1.56/lb. 650 lbs. went for 1.41.
I would make more by waiting if the market doesnt go down.

newcattleman":2x192wdb said:
Probably. But I'm not the expert here. The "ratings" are for only how many posts you make; not how smart you really are!

I am not taking my own advice. My thoughts is when you have made a profit turn them.
I have just weaned 32 head that weighs arount 650lbs some are still bulls, all my friends say that I should have went to the auction with them. I want to wean, cut and slick them up a little. Hoping to get the $1.75 a lb.

right you can hold emm or sell emm.either way you cant loose money since theres a big shortage of cattle.

If you have the capability I would hang on to them and sell them as bred heifers. There will be plenty of folks this way that will be paying a lot of money for them. Of course that is just my opionion!

If I had any that would be for sale this week. I pretty much know what they would bring and can live with it. ....a couple months down the road I have no idea.

newcattleman":h4xow114 said:

Thats $173 dollar gain for 173 pounds. If your feeding them out of a sack and hay the profit would be minimal. I you have a means to a cheaper feed you will do okay. If the market goes higher by spring you might see a bigger gain but its pretty high right now.

There's a lot more room for the market to go down than up. An old man told me one time that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. If you have the feed and don't need the money it's fine to wait but if your like me and have bills to pay and think that feed is outrageous they need to have a new owner.

fatcattle":30ou9jsu said:
There's a lot more room for the market to go down than up. An old man told me one time that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. If you have the feed and don't need the money it's fine to wait but if your like me and have bills to pay and think that feed is outrageous they need to have a new owner.
well what do you think about .60 to .90 weigh cows an .80 to $1.05 weigh bulls.to me those are high prices an i dont see them dropping to soon.

bigbull338":1ieieee4 said:
fatcattle":1ieieee4 said:
well what do you think about .60 to .90 weigh cows an .80 to $1.05 weigh bulls.to me those are high prices an i dont see them dropping to soon.
If you look only at cattle inventory and the futures market the sky is the limit on price. There are alot of crazy folks out there that wish us harm, both here and oversea's. We could also have another BSE type incident. The internet is full of rumors of how bad beef is for your health and if one ever really gets traction it could be another Oprah fiasco.
I'm optimistic but I'm keeping my powder dry and taking a profit when its there.

I am trying to keep mine until they are around 700. Then again I have always done that. It is hard to do when you can get as much for a 450 lb calf as you once did for a 700 lb.

I have a few older cows to cull. I am going to wait until grass, fatten them up and sell then.
We are all sailing unchartered waters. It is hard to look at 4 and 5 weight calves and hold on to them knowing what they will bring today.
I tend to follow boxed beef demand and go by that. Both the price and demand for boxed beef is inching up.
I am going to hang on for a while.
Rolling the dice may come back and bite me. :)

We are selling about 100 head of calves this next monday. Been on the wheat pasture the last 3 months. We still have a lot of wheat pasture left but have to pull them on march 1st because we are also a grain operation.

Latest posts