Sell my yearlings now or sell a month from now

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
Hey guys I was just curious these cattle prices have me nervous. With the higher price off grain an lower feeder cattle prices I probably have lost some money already. I just got my yearling in from the pasture an there pretty good size now 850-900 lbs I estimate. I was palnning on putting in the cornfield due to some corn on the ground. It will take about a month to clean up the field so should be able to move them an sell them around the 1st off december. But Im worried fat cattle will decline some more an corn will keep going up leading to lower prices i recieve now. What would you guys do if you were in my situation? Ive done this in the past an have done quite well. Then cattle put on some cheap gain an sold real well. But now with all the volatility around Im really on the fence here. Thanks for your input.

The guy at our sale barn told us to sell before the end of this month. I don't know myself. I'd be in the same boat as you. Personally, I think corn prices will be falling shortly. I know a lot of folks who are holding it.

Dern... Somebody break out the Crystal Ball on this one...

Over 700# feeder steers were down $4.00 here to $90-96. Light stockers seem to be holding pretty good but the heavier ones (over 400#) are all over the board. Tossing a coin is probably as good a way to decide as any. The way things are going "Retained ownership" might be an option this year.Z

Well Ive decided to keep them for a month. Right or wrong thats my program an Im sticking with it. Around here all that is selling now is calves. No yearlings left. Ive looked at a couple off sale barnwebsites an the yearlings are still selling real well. My gut feeling is corn will drop a bit for the shorterm. Here in Nebraska the corn harvest has been real slow due to the cold wet weather for the past month. Lot off corn is going right in to town an not even going in to the bin.

Agboy":2r7hp87s said:
Well Ive decided to keep them for a month. Right or wrong thats my program an Im sticking with it. Around here all that is selling now is calves. No yearlings left. Ive looked at a couple off sale barnwebsites an the yearlings are still selling real well. My gut feeling is corn will drop a bit for the shorterm. Here in Nebraska the corn harvest has been real slow due to the cold wet weather for the past month. Lot off corn is going right in to town an not even going in to the bin.

Agboy, you're probably doing the right thing. Most of the time I've deviated from the program, I've wound up outfoxing myself.

The prices are low enough to get me jumpy. I'm going to be hitting the sale barns and selectively picking up a few head. Cows or heifers of good quality and good price are what I am hoping to pick up. If there are no bargains, I won't be spending my nickels. I can keep selling hay.

I truly look for female gender cattle to escalate in price this spring.

Agboy":3gp5x2t4 said:
Hey guys I was just curious these cattle prices have me nervous. With the higher price off grain an lower feeder cattle prices I probably have lost some money already.

Sell um all and buy back some cows to clean up the corn stubble.

High corn prices favor heavy feeders so if thats the case it shouldn't hit you "as" hard.

backhoeboogie":2gjfoo2g said:
The prices are low enough to get me jumpy. I'm going to be hitting the sale barns and selectively picking up a few head. Cows or heifers of good quality and good price are what I am hoping to pick up. If there are no bargains, I won't be spending my nickels. I can keep selling hay.

I truly look for female gender cattle to escalate in price this spring.
Typically, the cows are cheap right up to Christmas, then about the middle of January, they start going up. The climatologist said this coming summer will be the same as 06, so I'm looking for alot of sell off again this summer. My idea is to buy some now, and then sell in the spring when prices should be high.

Latest posts