selenium toxicity in selemnium deficient state

Help Support CattleToday:

BdoubleR

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a calf with selenium toxicity- only selenium from us is what she was given by the vet when he treated her for what we all thought was white muscle disease.
Calf has been dead for over a month now and I just got the lab results today- I am left scratching my head- so is the vet. Liver values all outta whack- have levels if it helps anyone- any input is welcome- as this pasture she was born in we have only been using a couple of years and if there is something in it...

I'm just shooting from the hip here, but isn't there both Muse and Bose for selinium. I don't know the dosage or parts per million on either off the top of my head.

What I'm wondering is could the vet have given the weak drug dosage of the strong drug if that makes any sense.

2 cc but he took blood sample first the gave selenium E. So he did this thinking we wer treating WMD. Only to find out now that her selenium level was 230.0 reference range should be 0.08-0.5ppm in an adult cow. This is the first time 2 out of the 3 vets in the office we use have ever seen a toxicity.

Where are you located? We are considered a selinium deficient area, but we have areas within that can cause selinium toxicity. It all depends on your area.

Latest posts