Selecting a Show Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

London R

Reaction score
I am new to cattle and this will be my first calf. I'm buying him through my school so I don't have much information about them other than they are about 9 months old and are exotic crosses. I know about the basic traits to look for but if anyone has any tips or advice about what to looking for, it would be greatly appreciated!

London I wish it were kids competing against kids, like it was in the old days. Kids should have to do all the work. We should not have parents out cooking up feed for the steers.

It helps to know your judges and know their like. You are being judge on what those folks are looking for, not what I look for. Look at what crosses have won in your show circuits that past few years.

Your county agent should be of assistance and he should know the ropes.

They weren't anything special. Fairly ordinary cattle, but it if you go through all the videos they explain what they are looking at and why they favor the traits of one animal over the other.

I am new to cattle and this will be my first calf. I'm buying him through my school so I don't have much information about them other than they are about 9 months old and are exotic crosses. I know about the basic traits to look for but if anyone has any tips or advice about what to looking for, it would be greatly appreciated!
Buy the one you like best. imo the purpose of shows should be a fun learning experience. Focus on the one with the largest most muscular rear end.
What will be the end purpose? Your freezer or sale?
Head size is an indication of overall skeleton size. For my freezer, I choose the steer with the smaller head for lower % bone weight in the hanging carcass weight.
But, butt first. :)

I remember a Holstein steer (so long ago that I don't want to say the year) that a kid showed at the county fair in the 4H class. Pot bellied and the poor steer's ribs were sticking out so bad that each rib could be counted. As a young farm boy, I was embarrassed for him and his family, assumed they couldn't afford feed. It was so bad that I remember it to this day.

Last edited:
Good feeding will allow you to make the most of what you select. And in my opinion contributes more than 50% of the result. Learn to assess how they are going and to make adjustments to the feed regime along the way. Best of luck with it London.

Ken

I've never been involved in raising an animal for show competition, but I took judging classes in college and they were oriented toward choosing breeding stock. From everything I see recently show animals differ significantly from what we learned to choose as breeding stock. A lot of leg nowadays, for one thing. The show ring has become more show than business. Not surprising from other things we see nowadays.

You need to be looking at structure. It starts from the ground up. The steer world in Texas is super tough. Personally we never let an ag teacher pick cattle. We went to breeders or traders we bought private treaty from and when help was needed they would offer advice on feeding etc.

As a group of Ag Teachers setting around at a stock show on a down afternoon in OK, late 90's. I remember saying adults trying to make a living beating kids at a kids game would ruin the industry.
Young people showing cattle is a lot like other activities for kid's - sports, dance, rodeo, cheer, etc. Parents trying to relive and improve on their youth through the lives of their kids. Kids in it for the fun and learning experience. Parents in it for the win. Can be a lot of drama and trouble - most of that from the "adults".

For a first year steer project, you will want one that is gentle, first and foremost. This will make the project more fun. Then you make a pick based on the structure, muscling, etc. to do the best you can do. Finally, you will learn about properly feeding a steer to get him into market condition. The first couple of years is a steep learning curve and I support the schools having these programs to help youth learn about the livestock industry by participating in it. Good luck and post a pic when you find your steer.

The steer world in Texas is super tough.
You got that right and not necessarily honest.
Several years ago grand champion purebred Hereford steer in a major Texas show dna tested as a crossbred.... my guess is it was part Simmental.

imo Livestock shows, other than those for youth education = total waste of time.

Like anything else, there are cheaters everywhere, especially as the level of competition goes up. Most of us are rightfully jaded about the show world in show cattle, show horses, etc. because it is disconnected from real world production, but the real goal is for London R to learn about selecting, feeding, showing and marketing this project and the work involved. That is no different than every other project we do in life.

Wouldn't it be a positive thing if all animals were pooled so that every student could grade and score all of them and somehow get an animal that they scored highest or by a simple drawing. Why? To decrease cheating and improve the learning process. Keep the parents out as much as possible. They model cheating to the kids. This is not a complaint, but a professional observation.

For a first year steer project, you will want one that is gentle, first and foremost. This will make the project more fun. Then you make a pick based on the structure, muscling, etc. to do the best you can do. Finally, you will learn about properly feeding a steer to get him into market condition. The first couple of years is a steep learning curve and I support the schools having these programs to help youth learn about the livestock industry by participating in it. Good luck and post a pic when you find your steer.
Just posted a picture of him. He is super sweet, if overly so. I had to punch him in the nose to get him to stop itching his head on me but I have learned a lot already. Thank you for the advice by the way!

Latest posts