select sire bulls for heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29

Reaction score
looking for opinions on a heifer bull. needs to be from select sires and needs to be a black angus. I have been looking at 7an278 anybody used him or have another bull they like for heifers. I really like to keep bw down and ce up. the heifers were sired by 7an288

Does it have to be select sires bulls? If not Accelerated Genetics has VDAR Really Windy 4097 have you looked at him?

I like the 5050 bull and also I have used GAR Yield Grade . I don't like using bulls with a bw epd of less than 0.

Just make sure the bull you pick has Proven Calving Ease . Let someone else test the young bulls.... :D :2cents:

I don't like using bulls with a bw epd of less than 0

Just out of curiosity...why? I'm a greenhorn, but it seems to me that negative BW would be a good thing...provided that the bull still has solid WW and YW EPDs.

slamotto":194oooca said:
I don't like using bulls with a bw epd of less than 0

Just out of curiosity...why? I'm a greenhorn, but it seems to me that negative BW would be a good thing...provided that the bull still has solid WW and YW EPDs.

Typically you'll lose both growth and thickness if you go to the extreme low BW. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between. Not many proven mature curve benders, but there are hundreds of young bulls promoted as curve benders.

I think everybody has gone low BW crazy you have to look at the dam and sire to make decisions, You give up so much performance most of the timewith low BW. Now in BA the average BW is 1.8 falls every year seems like if your heifers are carrying a high BW then id look for lower. Im looking at some heifers bred to a bull with a 2.2 BW CED of 7 doesnt bother me at all i hope i can get them.

Rito 6EM6 of 4L3 Emblazon put two calves into my herd by way of purchased heifers that were bred to him. He's not really a bull that I would have chosen myself but I do like those two calves. :nod: One of them is likely to be one of the best bulls I've ever produced.

7an207. Bextor, kind of calving ease if you can get him. Only angus bull I have had experience with. Have female sexed Selective in the tank too. Just have not used it yet..........

We bred all of our 1st calf heifers to either Selective or Bextor this past december. We'll hope for good results this fall. 2nd calvers we bred to Progress and Prophet. A few older cows we bred to TC Total. I want to see some results of the Progress and Prophet bulls and see if we can use them on our heifers for a little more growth.

Another one to consider would be 7AN297 - Insight. He's at least breed average in all his $ Indexes...including top 1% in $W.

If you are willing to accept some risk, 7AN352 - Combination has some great numbers, but his accuracy is low.

I have used 7AN355 - RAB-MR Future Direction 3407N on one heifer so far and 7AN275 TOSU Hawk 5306 on another. Don't know if I'll use either of those again or not. Every day I find a different bull I'd like to try for one reason or another.

LCC New Standard.........he pretty much has it all. Sires thick good doin cattle and his calving ease is great. A little milky but otherwise I like him. I have raised several real nice calves out of a son of his that ring the bell at the registered sales!

Two of the 3 calves I posted the other day are gr,sons of New Standard.

The original poster is looking just at Select Sires bulls.

Tough to argue with LCC New Standard's combo of Calving Ease & Low Birth Weight with outstanding Weaning and Yearling Weights. Looks like his only blemish is his Cow Energy Index (bottom 15% of the breed).

7AN320 - Prophet might be a Select Sires alternative to LCC New Standard. Although his Cow Energy Index is even lower.

Latest posts