Seen the new Gov. candidate ad?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lammie

Reaction score
Farouk (I don't know how to spell that...) Shami. He's had commercials here. Built a factory somewhere in Texas making hair care products. I guess he's a dem. Says he won't take but a dollar a year for the job. Promises that busines as usual will not be business as usual. I don't know about is ethnic origins. I think he's spending his own money on the campaign, as well. I haven't done a search on him yet. Steve slept late so I had to drag my butt up and get his lunch for him while he scrambled to get ready for work.

I think the latter is a plot to get me out of bed at five on my week off....

I'll find something on him and post it.

Here is something I found... Interesting. Don't think Texans will go for him owing to recent events...

Houston businessman Farouk Shami joins Democratic race for Texas governor

12:00 AM CST on Friday, November 20, 2009
By ROBERT T. GARRETT / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]
AUSTIN – Palestinian-born Houston businessman Farouk Shami jumped into the Democratic race for governor Thursday.

Texans are "ready and open-minded" enough to vote for someone who's serious about fixing the economy, he said, even a political long shot who has never held public office. "The people want me to run because I know how to create jobs," said Shami, 66, who came to the U.S. in 1965 and struck it rich in the hair-product business, creating successful brands such as BioSilk and CHI hair tools.

Shami said he's also "very, very savvy about education and health care. So I am the one who is going to create the jobs, regardless of name or origin or color."

Though he's a political unknown, Shami could raise the profile of the Democratic race, said University of Texas political scientist Bruce Buchanan.

He has pledged to spend $10 million of his own money before the March 2 primary. And he hired veteran Democratic political consultants.

"He's up against long odds because of his background and his name and his lack of prior political spadework," Buchanan said. "But I guess we'll all have, given his resources, an opportunity to watch him."

Shami, who has donated to candidates of both parties in recent years, said he is a "Democrat all the way to the bone." He said he regrets not participating in politics earlier.

"I am ready to get involved and pay back to the state I love," he said by phone after speaking at a campaign kickoff in Houston.

Shami said Texans are ready for someone to lead.

He criticized Gov. Rick Perry for rejecting $556 million of federal stimulus money for unemployment benefits. Perry has said the money carried too many strings, such as liberalizing requirements for workers who quit to follow a spouse to a new location or who seek only part-time work.

Shami said the money could have flowed through the state economy, creating jobs.

"Which businessman in the world would turn down $550 million that creates tens of thousands of jobs for our people," Shami said. "He denied that for our people."

Shami said as governor he would urge other entrepreneurs to follow his lead in bringing factories back to the U.S. from overseas.

Last summer, his company closed operations in Asia and created nearly 1,300 jobs in Houston, his campaign said.Shami also said he would push for a "duty-free zone" on the Texas-Mexico border.

"Instead of a wall, let's connect each other with the bridge of an economy," he said.

Texas is a demographic mix, a "cross section of all colors, of all origins," Shami said. "We cannot limit our state to old thinking and stereotyping. We need ... new thinking."

What IS it apout the Texas governors race that attracts all these~~~~people.. At least this one has brought jobs back to Texas--more than either one of the others..

Heard on the TV last night that Perry is busily working to help create jobs-------------------------in Israel. :lol2: :???:

It would be great to put in my two cents. Except that this thread goes against the rules.

Yeah,but we can spread information as long as it's up..

peg4x4":kuek7mkm said:
Yeah,but we can spread information as long as it's up..

Yeah, or misinformation, as the case may be...

I honestly don't know a thing about the guy except the little I've read today. I have seen the commericals for his hair products. I just thought it was interesting. I wonder what the state dem committee thinks of him.

Can't be any less known than Chis Bell.

It must be the redneck in me. A man in Texas, who works with hair products is simply not my idea of a good choice (first impression?). This guy is a dem? He'll take the valley but not much else - unless a republican can speak spanish as well as Bush could.

If you know nothing about this guy, why are we even discussing it in the first place? And going against the rules of the forum.

backhoeboogie said:
It must be the redneck in me. A man in Texas, who works with hair products is simply not my idea of a good choice (first impression?). This guy is a dem? He'll take the valley but not much else - unless a republican can speak spanish as well as Bush could.

If you know nothing about this guy, why are we even discussing it in the first place? And going against the rules of the forum.[/quote]

Just thought it was interesting. Didn't know if maybe someone else had heard of him. I think it is more against the rules to endorse a candidate, especially at the cost of mud slinging at other candidates. I'm not promoting him nor am I offering up any viral forwards for or against him. I'm sure that those will come but it won't be from me. I'll give you an example:

Not against the rules: Heard of this candidate?
Against the rules: Some towel head is running for governor, you know what that means...

It was just a question, geez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts