Seems a little high...comments?

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39

Reaction score
From cow calf weekly 5/12

"U.S. Cow Costs Increased By $36/Head In 2005
Cattle-Fax(R) says its 2005 cow-calf survey revealed cash costs/cow averaged $351 in 2005 - $36/head more than the 2004 average of $315/head. In the past decade, annual cow costs have ranged from $292 to $351/head, with a 10-year average of $307/head.

Cattle-Fax analysts attribute the increase largely to higher energy and fuel costs. The costs cited above don't include depreciation, opportunity cost or returns to management.

Overall, 96% of producers selling weaned calves were profitable in 2005, a record-high percentage, Cattle-Fax says. Of producers selling calves at weaning, 80% made a profit of $100/head or more, 44% made $150/head or more, and only 4% were not profitable.

The results show a strong correlation between high-return producers and lower costs and higher production performance. Average cow cost for those profiting $100/head or more was $347. Those who profited less than $100/head had an average cow cost of $377/head.

The average cow cost for the low ⅓ (least cost) of producers was $267/head compared to the high ⅓ (highest cost) of producers was $445, a $178/head difference. The results also show a positive correlation between weaning percentage and profitability. Producers who made more than $150/head, weaned 4% more calves than those who broke even or lost money.

The survey also found 79% of producers use the Internet, 53% have registered a premise ID, 84% precondition their calves, and 78% felt the market rewarded them for preconditioning.
-- Tod Kalous, Cattle-Fax(R) Update, taken from the Michigan State University Beef Cattle Research Update "

"The survey also found 79% of producers use the Internet, 53% have registered a premise ID, 84% precondition their calves, and 78% felt the market rewarded them for preconditioning."

Can't believe that they surveyed many of my neighbors :)

I think it would go more like
40% used the Internet(to do livestock stuff)
10% have a premise ID
10% precondition their calves
and 0% felt they were rewarded adequately for preconditioning.

funny thing about surveys, you never know who or how many they actually surveied. i know that nobody around me here in western ny is signed up for the premise id. most people don't even know about it
gary

It was probably an internet survey; which really makes you wonder about the remaing 21% of the 79% that said they used the internet :roll:

preston39":254ykom1 said:
From cow calf weekly 5/12

"U.S. Cow Costs Increased By $36/Head In 2005
Cattle-Fax(R) says its 2005 cow-calf survey revealed cash costs/cow averaged $351 in 2005 - $36/head more than the 2004 average of $315/head. In the past decade, annual cow costs have ranged from $292 to $351/head, with a 10-year average of $307/head.

I would say this show you folks are danged fine operators - anyone who can keep operational costs to less than a buck a day is doing better than me and I would really like to know how they did it. As this is an average, there are some who are doing way better than a buck a day - Iwould really like to know how it is done.

Cattle-Fax analysts attribute the increase largely to higher energy and fuel costs. The costs cited above don't include depreciation, opportunity cost or returns to management.

I would like to see a sample of the survey, the areas surveyed and the average age of operator, age of operation, size of aurvey and so on.

Overall, 96% of producers selling weaned calves were profitable in 2005,

Good for them - did they survey 100 producers? Did each producer sell only one calf? I think you folks know what I am getting at. Where were these calves sold? Were these calves part of the captive supply - sold on forward contract, or sold through sale barns, etc?

Sold at a profit? Well I should say so - especially for those who have costs of less than a dollar a day.

a record-high percentage, Cattle-Fax says.

Well if the cheap producers sold at a profit and a few startup operations sold at a tremendous loss - it would be easy to say lots more folks made a profit - but that in itself would be misleading.

Of producers selling calves at weaning, 80% made a profit of $100/head or more, 44% made $150/head or more, and only 4% were not profitable.

Once again how many producers? How large a calf crop? Any pre-sold through captive supply?

The results show a strong correlation between high-return producers and lower costs and higher production performance.

This above statement makes me actually ponder the following question: Do they think we are so stupid as to not realize this without having it spelled out for us?

Average cow cost for those profiting $100/head or more was $347. Those who profited less than $100/head had an average cow cost of $377/head.

Proving that costs must be kept to less than a buck a day to be in with the big dogs. I would really like to se what constitutes "costs" per animal. I personally run EVERY dammed penny into the equation for cost and then divide it by the number of head and the number of days in a year. Profit means there is truly money left over.

Not some fancy book worked number - but real cold hard cash.

The average cow cost for the low ⅓ (least cost) of producers was $267/head

Somehow I am doubtful of the folks that can actually keep cows at 267 bucks per head per year. I believe there is more to this than what may meet the eye.

compared to the high ⅓ (highest cost) of producers was $445, a $178/head difference.

We ALL know someone at this end - and they still claim to be profitable?

The results also show a positive correlation between weaning percentage and profitability.

Uh ... Duuuhhhhh! :roll:

Producers who made more than $150/head, weaned 4% more calves than those who broke even or lost money.

The survey also found 79% of producers use the Internet,

I am surprized - unless this is an internet poll of course - but does this mean more than half of U.S. agriculture folks are on the net? No so in Canada - less than 10% of Cattlemen are on the net according toi Ontario Cattlemen's Magazine Lianne Appelby.

53% have registered a premise ID,

Wow - either a real small and select poll, or your premise ID is going a lot better than I had imagined

84% precondition their calves, and 78% felt the market rewarded them for preconditioning.

Well, if they asked folks who preconditioned - what in the heck do they expect for an answer? I am sure the folks preconditioning would - as a rule - not do it unless they felt they were adequately compensated for their additional efforts.

Was this part of the forward contracting details and demands on the captive supply?

-- Tod Kalous, Cattle-Fax(R) Update, taken from the Michigan State University Beef Cattle Research Update "

I have just picked this apart by being a bit of a butt hole. But one must always remember - unless the demographics, the questions, the size of the poll and the areas polled are published along with the actual wording of the questions - I figure this Tod Kalous and the MSU folks might just be throwing us crap they cherry picked.

As Churchill often said - "Polls [sic] are for dogs"

I read this poll and I might just think I could buy some land, raise some cows and get rich real fast.

I do believe there is a great deal of word AND numbersmithing in this poll.

Bez?

Bez?":28004ip7 said:
I do believe there is a great deal of word AND numbersmithing in this poll.

Bez?

Would that be in the category of figures don;t lie but liars figure?

dun

Ah come On Bez...Everyone makes at least a $100.00 on their cattle .. ;-) at least thats what a young know it all told me awhile back on this board.

Frankly if anyone believes that I have a superb grazing ranch for you located at Thompson Man :)

frenchie":1lzepahu said:
Ah come On Bez...Everyone makes at least a $100.00 on their cattle .. ;-) at least thats what a young know it all told me awhile back on this board.

Frankly if anyone believes that I have a superb grazing ranch for you located at Thompson Man :)

I believe - in my heart - if all was factored and figured in - the North American average profit margin would be below 50 bucks a head for the primary producer.

All one has to do is think about those with less than 200 head of cattle.

What does it cost to feed, board and doctor - versus what the total income for sale of all animals out the door in that year.

It is tough to make a living on 100 bucks per head.

Well, you can make a living - but you darned sure will not be buying that nice new all wheel drive 100 horse tractor every 5 years. And your mortgage better not be a big one.

It will really help if you have a wife who makes more than that mystical profit margin per year working in town.

Ah well, what do I know frenchie? I am sure someone here will be happy to tell me I am full of dog poo.

Hey are the Thompson Turkeys as thick in Thompson as they were in the late 70's?

Nice part of the world. I figure you could make a pile more money hiring out your land to a group of folks to hunt big game.

Cheers

Bez?

Bez?":znteeu82 said:
frenchie":znteeu82 said:

I believe - in my heart - if all was factored and figured in - the North American average profit margin would be below 50 bucks a head for the primary producer.

All one has to do is think about those with less than 200 head of cattle.

What does it cost to feed, board and doctor - versus what the total income for sale of all animals out the door in that year.

It is tough to make a living on 100 bucks per head.

Well, you can make a living - but you darned sure will not be buying that nice new all wheel drive 100 horse tractor every 5 years. And your mortgage better not be a big one.

It will really help if you have a wife who makes more than that mystical profit margin per year working in town.

Ah well, what do I know frenchie? I am sure someone here will be happy to tell me I am full of dog poo.

Hey are the Thompson Turkeys as thick in Thompson as they were in the late 70's?

Nice part of the world. I figure you could make a pile more money hiring out your land to a group of folks to hunt big game.

Cheers

Bez?

Yes Bez Thompson turkeys everywhere :lol2: