Seedstock and Commerical Replacements Price?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Off hand without me doing a lot of looking.What is the average price today on top quality seedstock and commerical replacement heifers?Price at the breed sale,in the pasture and at sales barn.The 3 breeds I am looking at are Beefmaster,Gert and Red Brahma.What I found was unbred reg.heifers $2000-$3500.Commerical heifers at the sales barn selling $500 to $800.
So am I in the ball park on these prices?Buying price?Selling price?Best to buy out of the pasture?

i think i can answer your question as far as beefmaster prices.the open reg heifers sale for $1000 to $1500.now thats not show heifers.show heifers are $1500 to $3500.bred heifers $1700 to $2500 depending on their bloodlines.you can get young bred cows or pairs for $1500 to $3000 depending on their bloodlines.

Thanks BigBull.That sounds like pretty good prices.I don't think I can go wrong on a herd of Beefmaster cows for an additional 401K and when I give up going to sea.

they are good prices.but you need to buy cows that fitt what you want todo.if raising bulls is what you want go that direction.an only keep the very best of the bulls.an only sell replacement heifers that you want in your herd.

Is it better to buy sexed semen if you want to go in a certain directon.

bigbull338":gda8wikq said:
they are good prices.but you need to buy cows that fitt what you want todo.if raising bulls is what you want go that direction.an only keep the very best of the bulls.an only sell replacement heifers that you want in your herd.

bigbull338":u6lrct8e said:
Selling seedstock and show quality heifers seems to be the direction that I want to head towards.After doing the sales barn commerical cow/calf operation for so many years.They both are about the same to feed and care.But the quality and selling price is a big difference.So $3,000-$5,000 show heifers would fit the need of selling seedstock/replacements?Not sure if I would want to sell the bulls,bite off more than I can chew.
Those boys at the sales barn are only going to pay me so for my calves.Ain't a heck of a lot after I look at my feed bills,farm expenses,time and effort.Of course I figure some will come out less quality,have to go to the sales barn.Try sexed semen to get all heifers,try to produce the absolutly best quality available and treat every customer right.So what else am I missing besides learning best ways to market and promote those girls?It's a big investment for me,a huge leap to go from county sales barn to breed sales.So your input is most welcome here.

OhioRiver":u73kjinq said:
Is it better to buy sexed semen if you want to go in a certain directon.

bigbull338":u73kjinq said:
with beefmasters semen cost from $50 to 200 a straw.an sexed semen may cost alot more.

Brahma Bull":1mkpihqf said:
bigbull338":1mkpihqf said:
Selling seedstock and show quality heifers seems to be the direction that I want to head towards.After doing the sales barn commerical cow/calf operation for so many years.They both are about the same to feed and care.But the quality and selling price is a big difference.So $3,000-$5,000 show heifers would fit the need of selling seedstock/replacements?Not sure if I would want to sell the bulls,bite off more than I can chew.
Those boys at the sales barn are only going to pay me so for my calves.Ain't a heck of a lot after I look at my feed bills,farm expenses,time and effort.Of course I figure some will come out less quality,have to go to the sales barn.Try sexed semen to get all heifers,try to produce the absolutly best quality available and treat every customer right.So what else am I missing besides learning best ways to market and promote those girls?It's a big investment for me,a huge leap to go from county sales barn to breed sales.So your input is most welcome here.
sexed semen is expensive.your thinking in the right direction by wanting to sell show heifers.but know this not all heifer calves will be show quality.an those that are you have to sale for a fair price.now you may end up with a bull calf thats herd bull quality.an you wont want to send him to the sale as a weaned calf.youll have to put alot of time an hard work in this venture.

Latest posts