Seeding Bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Wondering if you can broadcast Bermuda seeds, or is springs the only way to go? Have some bare spots in my only non fescue field. It is only around 7 acres and would like to seed a couple of those acres were it is bare.

aplusmnt":pp02t02r said:
Wondering if you can broadcast Bermuda seeds, or is springs the only way to go? Have some bare spots in my only non fescue field. It is only around 7 acres and would like to seed a couple of those acres were it is bare.

You can common and a few others, have to sprig coastal.

If you do get some in and it does come up just by broadcasting I'd say you need to be able to keep the cattle off it this year otherwise they will have it ate down to nothing and it might not come back on next year.

Have you contacted your local extension office to see if they have a drill available? I'd sure go that route over the broadcasting.

I'd also be interested in knowing what varities they suggest for you since your just about 2.5 hours west of me. I've always been told we are just a bit far north for any good bermuda production. When I lived in Arkansas I had a bottom field planten in Guymon and it did well but a neighbor that worked for the FSA said I was on the northern most fringe for it to do well.

Let me know if you get any suggestions for your area. Nobody grows it around here and I like the stuff.

J

In Georgia we plant Cheyenne Bermuda seed, but we use a no till drill. It is doing very well, now entering its third year. Agree check with extension agent. There are other Bermuda seed varieties, but here this is the best according to the experts.

Billy

MrBilly":17qi6gs0 said:
In Georgia we plant Cheyenne Bermuda seed, but we use a no till drill. It is doing very well, now entering its third year. Agree check with extension agent. There are other Bermuda seed varieties, but here this is the best according to the experts.

Billy

They are telling me Cheyenne does very well here in this climate. I am going to plant ten acres and see. OUCH at the seed price.

Been sprigging costal for a couple of days now.

Latest posts