Seed tater question

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I bought some seed taters, took them home and when I cut them in pieces to get them ready to plant, they were all purple inside. I didn't pay attention to what kinds I was buying we we eat them all, but is that normal? I have never seen it before, but that don't mean it isn't normal.

Someone let me know.

There is a type of potato that is purple. Its supposed to taste like any other potato. I don't know, as I haven't tried them. To me, that is like that green ketchup some one came out with several years ago, or clear cola ~ just seems too wierd.

Oh geez. I don't know if I could get my son to eat purple mashed taters... I guess I better get some more. Or plant these along with some white ones. I have never heard of such...

Yup they look real funny mashed, looks like Easter egg coloring or something. :frowns:

I went ahead and planted them. I read where they had higher levels of anti oxidants or something. Anyway I asked William Henry if he thought he could eat purple masted taters if they tasted the same and they were better for you and he said yes. We shall see... He's always been very particular about his taters.

Where did you find that variety in Texas??? I was trying to find some colored potatoes but had no luck locally.... would have had to order them online.

Angus In Texas":a5r5l4qz said:
Where did you find that variety in Texas??? I was trying to find some colored potatoes but had no luck locally.... would have had to order them online.

Believe it or not, Lowe's. I was in there looking at bedding plants and bulbs and I happened on them. They had good eyes on them, so hopefully they will grow. I didn't even know they were purple on the inside till I cut them open. The picure showed them purple on the outside, but I thought maybe it was just faded or something.

I haven't had much luck with the taters and onion sets I have been getting from my local feed store and the coop was sold out of taters, so I did this instead. I hope then make it. It should be interesting.

Latest posts