Searching For A Brand....

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to track a horse down by it's brand, and had any luck? All I know is that the horse was purchased at a sale in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

I have searched google for info but no luck.

Any information is greatly appreciated.....

Great, hope you can.

The brand is a backwards C with a horizontal 3 directly under it.
There is a lip tattoo, but can not make it out. I was told that he was purchased at a sale in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Assuming that the brand is a Wyoming brand, these people should be able to tell you who it is registered to.

Wyoming Livestock Board 2020 Carey Avenue 4th Floor Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002-0051

Not a problem. I was hoping to be able to find it online, but there is no online listing that I can find for Wyoming. Sorry.

Don't be sorry, you gave more than what I had before.

I'm going to take a good picture of the brand on his left hip and send that to them, and hope for the best. I will let you know what I fiind out.

He was in horrible sharp when I got him, unresponsive, skinny, rain rot. He has improved greatly, but still needs to gain more weight. he's getting there.

thanks again..........

I tracked down a brand one time from a state brand inspector, who had a book with all the brands in it. I assumed it was just for the state. You might also try a Wy. state brand inspector if mscamp's suggestion doesn't do it for you.

Alan

Alan":vq7gsi0e said:
I tracked down a brand one time from a state brand inspector, who had a book with all the brands in it. I assumed it was just for the state. You might also try a Wy. state brand inspector if mscamp's suggestion doesn't do it for you.

Alan

Just_A_Girl, no problem. If I get a few minutes I will try to run into town and see if the brand inspector is in.

Alan, all Wyoming brand inspectors have a state wide book of brands and who they are registered to, but since she lives in Texas that isn't going to do her much good. She will probably have better luck contacting the Wyoming Livestock Board rather than trying to run down a brand inspector.

msscamp,

That would be wonderful! I will try not to get too excited.
I don't even know how many hands he has passed through before he came to me.

And that tattoo on his upper lip is worthless, we can't even make out the first marking.

And Allan, Thank you for your help.

Just_a_girl":2sius3ky said:
msscamp,

That would be wonderful! I will try not to get too excited.
I don't even know how many hands he has passed through before he came to me.

And that tattoo on his upper lip is worthless, we can't even make out the first marking.

And Allan, Thank you for your help.

I've got to go to town tomorrow (this should get all kinds of responses) for dog treats, so I will stop by the sale barn and see if I can find a brand inspector. Push comes to shove, I know someone who works at the sale barn that can find the brand inspector (assuming he's in his office and not out on someone's place) so should have an answer by the end of the week.

I went ahead and emailed a drawing of the brand to you....hope that was okay?

thanks for all your help.....

msscamp":3otvo9fp said:
I've got to go to town tomorrow (this should get all kinds of responses) for dog treats, so I will stop by the sale barn and see if I can find a brand inspector. Push comes to shove, I know someone who works at the sale barn that can find the brand inspector (assuming he's in his office and not out on someone's place) so should have an answer by the end of the week.

Mine like beggin strips and chewies :D , I wonder why they don't eat the dog food.

Alan

Alan":3buw4s21 said:
msscamp":3buw4s21 said:

Mine like beggin strips and chewies :D , I wonder why they don't eat the dog food.

Alan

Gee, I can't imagine! ;-) lol

If the horse has a blue tattoo on its upper lip than it is registered with the American Jockey Club. If you get a vet to verify attleased 4 of the numbers and send a hair and blood sample to the Jockey club they can find out all the info on him. It costs a little but it would allso have all the horses owners, which could lead you to the brand. Just go yo WWW. JockeyClub.com. Good Luck

Thanks Maneside for the infor.

The tattoo is blue, but it so faint that we can't make out the markings. I want to say the first marking is a "W" so that would mean his foaling year is 1993....but I could be wrong about it being a "W"
I have asked everyone I know into the barn to look at the tatto, but no one can make it out. Poor horse, he stands there patiently while we flip his lip up and look at the tattoo.
I had the vet look at it when I took him in for a check-up, she couldn't tell. Although, vet did say he was at least 14 or 15 years old.

I know of a few people that race, thought about loading him and taking him to them. Maybe they have a keen eye for faded tattoos. :)

thanks again....

And thanks for the info on deaf horses.....

Most States that have brands publish a "State of ___Brand Book" that might or should be in your Public Library and might have other states books also

If your on terms with your Local Brand Inspector that's where I'd start. :idea:

Thank you....I will check out the library. I found a pretty interesting website the other day, and I hope that I can also learn something from that too.

Latest posts