Sea Salt vs Regular table salt

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have within the last 6 months switched to using the table grinder sea salt and like it way better than the regular table salt it has a better flavor and u can taste the salt better. Does anyone else prefer sea salt vs table salt ? My wife who is nurse after the switch I asked her is sea salt healthier than regular table salt much to my shock she said no its not. I thought i was doing something good for me but I was wrong. O well it still taste better than regular salt.

sky,. I know what you mean. We switched to sea salt a few years ago, and you are right, it does have a better taste to it, and you dont have to use as much... BUT>>> as I was reading an article about this very thing, about a week ago, it does NOT have the iodine in it like table salt.

Yea no iodine but still not great for you lol I guess the healthy portion is you dont have to use as much as the iodized salt like you said.

I switch to sea salt and use it as an ingredient in cooking, but if I just need a little more salt for what's on my plate I still shake out the "Morton's" iodized table salt. I had heard Kosher salt was as good as sea salt and a bit cheaper, so I checked it out a couple of weeks ago ...... A dime difference,I stayed with sea salt.

I prefer sea salt. I assume its all just Nacl. I do use less sea salt. So I guess in the end I am getting less sodium.

How much Iodine is in your soils? Here (NZ) we're deficient and as people have switched away from iodized salt over the last couple of decades, there have started to be measurable cases of deficiency and some goiter again.

not to highjack this thread but if you make alot of homemade ice cream but the pool salt in the bags it is alot cheaper. we also use it for weed control.

M5 you hijacker you...lol thanks I tend to make alot of ice cream and I have used the well salt never the pool salt but I will try it.

I use oil well salt. The crude oil, heavy metals and radiation help clean out tapeworms, and any other unwanted pest.

Sea salt on the table and I cook with Kosher. The rock salt we buy for ice cream freezers gets used, then goes in cracks in the blacktop driveway to kill weeds and grass.

skyhightree1":2odl3n2v said:
I have within the last 6 months switched to using the table grinder sea salt and like it way better than the regular table salt it has a better flavor and u can taste the salt better. Does anyone else prefer sea salt vs table salt ? My wife who is nurse after the switch I asked her is sea salt healthier than regular table salt much to my shock she said no its not. I thought i was doing something good for me but I was wrong. O well it still taste better than regular salt.

Table salt is processed and had the few minerals in it removed. Otherwise sodium content is same, sea salt being a bit more coarse and perhaps a bit stronger to the taste. it's all sea salt, simply processed and unprocessed.

slick4591":1sk52fxy said:
Sea salt on the table and I cook with Kosher.

I have found a new enjoyment in cooking and getting educated in cooking styles, herbs, spices and such. So with this in mind I'm curious to why you cook with kosher salt and use Sea salt as table salt?

Thanks,
Alan

Technically all salt is kosher....only means that nothing has been added....says nothing about what has been removed. Sort of like "Organic" or "natural". People look for the word "Kosher".

Kosher is a more pure form of salt, it's inexpensive, dissolves better, some say it adheres to food better and (arguably) the flavor. Lots of the recipes I use calls for Kosher, and I haven't found any that says not to use it, so it's in the pantry.

I'm a saltaholic and have high blood pressure, so I use less of the sea salt than the conventional. Also, I'm the only one that uses it here and I get it at Sam's Club in a disposable grinder. That makes its use simple.

Latest posts