Scruples - reputation

Help Support CattleToday:

Moses is a big family name in that area. I knew several young guys by that name. When I was rodeoing I traveled some with Henry Freedlander. He was from Nespelem. He ended up going back to college and became a vet. Trying to remember names of people I haven't seen in 20-30 years. I worked some on a ranch up the Methow. And helped a rancher out of Malott. I have a real good friend from Kettle Falls. I spent a lot of time with him. After the big fires in 2014 and '15 I was part of a group that did a lot of fire restoration in the area. That group did a lot of work east of Omak after the 2020(?) fire but I was already moved down here to Oregon.
Interesting, I know a gentleman here named last name of Moses from NW Washington. He met a local girl here when the bus he was traveling on broke down over night, after he got out of the service after surviving Vietnam he came back and married her. I'll have to ask him more about where and what tribe he is part of.

Interesting, I know a gentleman here named last name of Moses from NW Washington. He met a local girl here when the bus he was traveling on broke down over night, after he got out of the service after surviving Vietnam he came back and married her. I'll have to ask him more about where and what tribe he is part of.
If he is from the Colville Reservation east of Omak it is a mixture of several tribes.

Moses is a big family name in that area. I knew several young guys by that name. When I was rodeoing I traveled some with Henry Freedlander. He was from Nespelem. He ended up going back to college and became a vet. Trying to remember names of people I haven't seen in 20-30 years. I worked some on a ranch up the Methow. And helped a rancher out of Malott. I have a real good friend from Kettle Falls. I spent a lot of time with him. After the big fires in 2014 and '15 I was part of a group that did a lot of fire restoration in the area. That group did a lot of work east of Omak after the 2020(?) fire but I was already moved down here to Oregon.
You were rodeoing. Did you know Lester Herman? He was on Copper Creek in Frosty Meadows. I'm trying to remember the name of the 'area'. Way south of Inchelium but on the east side of the reservation still. I'm not sure I knew Henry, but the name sounds vaguely familiar. I knew a couple tribal members by the name Moses. A Ralph Moses worked in the range department. he was younger than me but not by a whole lot. I'm 54 now.

'Dollars to Doughnuts" he is related.

Odd that the terms preemption and preempting continue to be used in NW Canada. My family was preempting land here where I live in the late 1700s. They could acquire unclaimed and unsettled land for a token amount of money paid into the Virginia treasury. They only had to prove early occupation and utilization of the land.
How did it work in Canada?
I believe very much the same.

Where does the Colville Reservation get it's name?
Established in 1872, the reservation currently consists of 2,825,000 acres (4,410 sq mi; 11,430 km2),[1] located primarily in the southeastern section of Okanogan County and the southern half of Ferry County. It also includes other pieces of trust land in eastern Washington, including in Chelan County, just to the northwest of the city of Chelan. The reservation's name is adapted from that of Fort Colville, which was named by British colonists for Andrew Colville, a London governor of the Hudson's Bay Company.

The Confederated Tribes have 8,700 descendants from twelve aboriginal tribes. The tribes are known in English as: the Colville, Nespelem, Sanpoil, Lakes (after the Arrow Lakes of British Columbia, or Sinixt), Palus, Wenatchi, Chelan, Entiat, Methow, southern Okanagan, Sinkiuse-Columbia, and Nez Perce of Chief Joseph's Band. Some members of the Spokane tribe also settled the Colville reservation after it was established.

I cheated and googled it. Not many people realize that this reservation has multiple tribes that were located there. 12 officially, but there are descendants there from more tribes than that. I've talked with many people who commonly refer (in error) to this as the Colville TRIBE. It's much more than that.

"Mostly" I band at birth based on BW. If they are 100+, they automatically get banded. Even tho they may have great EPD's and I "know" from pedigree history that they would be fine used as a bull on a commercial herd - IF - the buyer had ONE calving issue and they saw the BW on papers, my farm name would be mud. Can't risk it. Besides, steers are always guaranteed cash flow!
"Some" bulls might get banded right away because of color. Yes, I discriminate against red bulls because I usually can only sell maybe 1. And if black or red - if they have too much white on them, I will band - unless I have an order for a colored up calf.
This order for 3 red bulls wants as much white on them as I get.
So with my little herd, calving 35 head in Jan/Feb, I have ORDERS for 8 bulls. I hope to be able to keep at least 10 in case one doesn't grow or has bad temp or ??
Remember, I have BIG cows (weight wise) and it is nothing for a cow to spit out 120# calf. I think the average is 8% of the cows BW. So, cow 1800# x 8% = 144# calf.
So, when my big cows have a 120#, that's "relatively" small!!! LOL
Very smart way to do it. Had a friend in the 80's that had a son of On The Money Red out of a daughter of Dash For Cash. His stallion dominated the barrel races around here, He had a good band of running bred QHs and sone TBs. When his colt and filles came along, most every one had more earnings, in barrel racing and on the track, than Lil Red. He would never sell an intact colt. And if you bred a mare to him, he would not register a colt til it was gelded. If you wanted this blood line, you had to come to him and breed to Lil Red. There was never a son of his left intact til Lil Red hit 20 years old, then they kept 2 sons of his for themselves.

Very smart way to do it. Had a friend in the 80's that had a son of On The Money Red out of a daughter of Dash For Cash. His stallion dominated the barrel races around here, He had a good band of running bred QHs and sone TBs. When his colt and filles came along, most every one had more earnings, in barrel racing and on the track, than Lil Red. He would never sell an intact colt. And if you bred a mare to him, he would not register a colt til it was gelded. If you wanted this blood line, you had to come to him and breed to Lil Red. There was never a son of his left intact til Lil Red hit 20 years old, then they kept 2 sons of his for themselves.
Well, I'm more into COW FAMILIES. I have 3 families that Hudson Pines Farm (the David Rockefeller's wife Peggy started a little before I started my farm) down near NYC. They leased 3 different cows from me. They would take them for a year - conventional flush every 60 days to the top bulls in the nation that no one else could get their hands on semen - because they were Hudson Pines! I got half the embryos for the lease. One cow, they leased for 3 or 4 years. That's my #3 cow family. Java (the 2-yr old dam of my Little Bull Lava) is a #3 family. About 1/3 of my herd is #3 females. Bulls are a dime a dozen. Just a cash flow. But, they reflect my program, so I have to be careful what leaves here an intact bull.

There has been unwarranted conversations about scruples and or reputation.
I have always said, my reputation is EVERYTHING in the cattle business - or ANY business/life.
I am going to brag about my reputation. I've told many of you before, that the only bulls I sell is bull calves, and the majority of them are "ordered" prior to birth. Right now I have "orders" for 5 bull calves for pickup in October that are due to calve in Jan/Feb. We actually had our first calf born yesterday, 5 days early - bull calf that we banded (104#).
Well, this morning I was eating breakfast and my phone rang. It was a gentlemen from Colorado that I have been using semen for years on an old bull he raised, and we have chatted numerous times and I've sent him pictures of calves we showed out of his bull. After chatting for a bit, catching up on what's been happening, he told me he wanted to buy 3 red bull calves. He would arrange trucking in October. This is a man I have never met. He didn't even ask how much!
It just made me proud of my farm and reputation and wanted to share!
Happy New Year!!
Jeanne your actions let others know who you are. My Dad always said the horses he rode would speak for themselves he didn't need to promote them. The same with an old reputable PB breeder I learned from. He let his bulls speak for his program. You and you're program is the same. That is the reason I sent you a message last week. Like I stated you are one of 2 Simmental breeders at this time I would buy a bull from. Your honesty and respect are two qualities that are a must for me. Wishing you a great 2024.

Well, I'm more into COW FAMILIES. I have 3 families that Hudson Pines Farm (the David Rockefeller's wife Peggy started a little before I started my farm) down near NYC. They leased 3 different cows from me. They would take them for a year - conventional flush every 60 days to the top bulls in the nation that no one else could get their hands on semen - because they were Hudson Pines! I got half the embryos for the lease. One cow, they leased for 3 or 4 years. That's my #3 cow family. Java (the 2-yr old dam of my Little Bull Lava) is a #3 family. About 1/3 of my herd is #3 females. Bulls are a dime a dozen. Just a cash flow. But, they reflect my program, so I have to be careful what leaves here an intact bull.
Yep. I thought about that after I posted that....how you focus on the cow lineage. You know the Bedouin kept pedigrees on their Arabians , according to the mares. Like Dry Doc, Doc-Olena, and all of their offspring were known as descendents of Doc Bar. In ads, you will see " going all the way back to Doc Bar". etc. If this were 2024 BC, the Bedouin would say "Traces al the way back to Poco Lena". I understand how over the centuries, it was the stallion ( or bull) that gained the notoriety. After all, they could sire hundreds of offspring a year, and a mare or cow birth only 1. But today with embryo flushing, that is not the case. Makes perfect sense to me what you are doing.

Last edited:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Yep. I thought about that after I posted that....how you focus on the cow lineage. You know the Bedouin kept pedigrees on their Arabians , according to the mares. Like Dry Doc, Doc-Olena, and all of their offspring were known as descendents of Doc Bar. In ads, you will see " going all the way back to Doc Bar". etc. If this were 2024 BC, the Bedouin would say "Traces al the way back to Poco Lena". I understand how over the centuries, it was the stallion ( or bull) that gained the notoriety. After all, they could sire hundreds of offspring a year, and a mare or cow birth only 1. But today with embryo flushing, that is not the case. Makes perfect sense to me what you are doing.
That guy we met last 4th of July, that raises the Black Simm x Chi-Ang and Chi-Ang x Black Simm does this. He bought and sold and traded til he got 30 homo for black and polled Black Simm cows that fit what he was doing, and 30 homo for black and polled Chi-Ang cows that did. When one of them gets to about 10-12, he will AI her to a bull of the same breed, with sexed semen, to get her replacement. He tries to pick the bull that will most closely compliment her attributes. I forget now how many, but he told us of the 60 cows he keeps, if they are not one of the original herd, they will be a daughter of one. He says he doesn't plan on introducing any new worries if he can help it. Looks like his program is working out well. So well, that this year he only uses sexed semen. In the past he didn't, but the steers grow very well. He would sell a couple and a couple heifers to 4H/FFA kids for show cattle. Clay's boss bought the 30 something steers weaned in July last year, and they were averaging 650 at 6 mos. He had them in his conditioning program for 4 months. then sent them to the feed lot in November. He is thinking they will get to his target weight in 90 days rather than 120.

The man does not retain any of these cross bred heifers for his program. He says a Chi-Ang or Black Simm is the last bull he would breed them to, if he did. The few he had last July that hadn't sold at weaning, he had bred to a black Beefmaster. and sold as pairs in July. He markets these as to be used in a third-breed terminal cross. Clay and I are getting 20 of each when they wean in July, and Clay's intentions are to use Brangus or Ultrablack bulls .

This is the man who gives the buyers a copy of the cow's and bull's papers , along with the bw and ww for each of these heifers., which some on here commented that it was stupid to do so. Anyway, got long winded again, but wanted to tell you, that while he doesn't get registered calves, ( though all his cows are) he still kinda does what you do, by focusing on COW families.

Last edited:

Latest posts