Scrotal Abscess

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We cut our bull calves 2 weeks ago. 3 of them have what I believe to be a scrotal abscess. It's the size of a baseball and very hard to the touch. I gave them a strong dose of antibiotics today. The calves otherwise seem in good health. Any suggestions or is there any other treatment I can do for them?

[email protected]

First off, with proper hygiene when cutting calves, you shouldn't get abscesses. Next year, replenish the iodine in your pail or use something to disinfect between calves. Secondly, scrotal abscesses can kill. If you can open the end of the scrotum and allow drainage that will help. Antibiotics are also essential. Lastly, speak with your vet to ensure there is nothing else you should do!

> First off, with proper hygiene
> when cutting calves, you shouldn't
> get abscesses. Next year,
> replenish the iodine in your pail
> or use something to disinfect
> between calves. Secondly, scrotal
> abscesses can kill. If you can
> open the end of the scrotum and
> allow drainage that will help.
> Antibiotics are also essential.
> Lastly, speak with your vet to
> ensure there is nothing else you
> should do!

Thanks Vicky. We didn't have any problems with this last year, not sure why we had a few go wrong this time. Will the abscess ever go back down to normal size? When you say open the end of the scrotum, should we be opening the site where we cut to begin with? should I be sqeezing the stuff out or just let it drain? This is the first time I've ever had this problem so I'm pretty naive. Jeff

[email protected]

Vicky is bang on about the iodine or disinfectant. I've seen too many cut calves with no hygene at all.

Another possibility, if the calves were bigger, about 4-600 pounds, they usually swell with blood clots. It is normal, and will go away in about 3 weeks.

If it is infected it is serious, just not all lumps are infection.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Frankly, I have just poked in the area at the end where the original cut was made and it usually gushes out all over my hands (ugh!). You can also soak the scrotum in warm salt water to draw the infection down further if necessary (clean water for each calf, wash hands inbetween) And use antibiotics! V