Screw Worm flies

Help Support CattleToday:

I doubt if many on this board can relate or have had experience with screw worms, they were eradicated in the early 60'S .

Screw worms were repulsive creatures!! Never did like being close to them even to kill them.
Read a book sometime back about two brothers who were ranching together (Can't remember the name or author).
I think they were probably in Texas.
When they had to fight these creatures they would each mount up in the morning and ride in different directions to cover more ground. Anything that needed treating they would rope and treat.
I think of this every time someone thinks they just have to have to have modern trailers, head gates, squeeze chutes to work cattle.

Cowboys did what needed to be done with what they had, that is a horse and a rope.
They didn't understand "can't".

Maggots have sometimes been used to clean wounds in humans by the medical people.
Don't know if that is still done or not. Probably is somewhere.
I don't want to ever be subjected to that treatment.
Ugh!

I was a teenager in those day. aircraft would fly over dropping boxes of stirle flies. we carried a purple liquid screwworm medication I think it was called Peerles and a black sticky paint on wound dressing. First you catch and tie off the crazy long ear mama then mount up and catch the calf.

My father would put a dog collar on the new born calf and tie the rope to the end of large tree limb , that way the calf couldn't wrap the rope around the tree and the rope would give when the calf walked. The cow would stay close to the calf so it could nurse like normal. The calf would stayed tied till the cord fell off.

Ryder":1om3ys8o said:
Maggots have sometimes been used to clean wounds in humans by the medical people.
Ugh!

Yes, they still use them in the clinical setting. As gross as it is, it's pretty awesome. They also use leeches to help heal people. Both of these treatments would have to be kept out of my line of sight for me to deal with them. I wonder if you can feel the maggots squirming?

Ryder":2iukplgg said:
Screw worms were repulsive creatures!! Never did like being close to them even to kill them.
Read a book sometime back about two brothers who were ranching together (Can't remember the name or author).
I think they were probably in Texas.
When they had to fight these creatures they would each mount up in the morning and ride in different directions to cover more ground. Anything that needed treating they would rope and treat.
I think of this every time someone thinks they just have to have to have modern trailers, head gates, squeeze chutes to work cattle.

Cowboys did what needed to be done with what they had, that is a horse and a rope.
They didn't understand "can't".

Ugh!

That would have been one of Elmer Kelton's books about Huey Calloway. The good old boys, or six bits a day.

Latest posts