Ticks & Flies???????????

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Here it is March 31st and today there were flies all over my cattle. Lone behold when I got in tonight there was a tick stuck on my waist line>. :( B&G

Yes, here too. :mad:

Was cutting thorns weekend before last found one stuck on me.

The face flies are thick here now. I am wondering if this might be a two-tag ear tag year? If the flies stay like this I'll probably move my vacc.up a month and tag about mid April when I vaccinate

It's starting to get nice here and Flys are here but not bad yet. I better go get my pour on soon.

I was going to pour on today and get my rubs hung back up and charged, but it's raining again this morning. :cry: :(

I need to sell out and start raising ducks and geese--or crawfish.

Patched a little fence yesterday and had 5 ticks. Picked another off a couple of weeks ago. Switched to fly control mineral already as well.

I found 2 ticks on the back of my yearling bull on monday.. he's quite appreciative of the attention and me getting rid of them.

The feral horses here were REALLY bad carriers.. the filly was absolutely LOADED with them.. there wasn't a square inch on her entire body that didn't have a 1/2" round tick.. I think the indians loaded a bunch of them up and shipped them off, so good riddance to them!

Been seeing quite a few flies around so penned and sprayed mine this morning. Feed IGR mineral year round but nothing works 100%.

TexasBred":1zltgwm1 said:
Been seeing quite a few flies around so penned and sprayed mine this morning. Feed IGRit outmineral year round but nothing works 100%.

I'm doing the same thing. It's only about 4 months here that isn't fly season so might as well just keep it out. To tell the truth though I can't tell that the IGR does any good. If it is I'd hate to see how many flies would be out there if I didn't use it.

lynnmcmahan":256fpigb said:
Always told that cold winters killed the bugs. :bs: Wondered why there were so many skeeters in Alaska.

Yeah, I've seen those skeeters chasing caribou on TV. And bear hunters in Canada wearing bug suits to keep them off. We have nothing compared to that down here other than we probably have to put up with them for a much longer period of time. We have mosquitoes from march to November and can see them any time we get a warm spell in the winter.

Deepsouth":3al95973 said:
TexasBred":3al95973 said:
Been seeing quite a few flies around so penned and sprayed mine this morning. Feed IGRit outmineral year round but nothing works 100%.

I'm doing the same thing. It's only about 4 months here that isn't fly season so might as well just keep it out. To tell the truth though I can't tell that the IGR does any good. If it is I'd hate to see how many flies would be out there if I didn't use it.

I can tell the difference on the pack patio when we're out there. Before I began using it you couldn't sit outside for the darn flies.