Scrap iron

Help Support CattleToday:

cajunman

Reaction score
If you have any scrap iron, copper, alum. tin, galv. fence etc. now is time to sale. I starting cleaning around the farm. Last week a load of old tin $ 58.00. Monday a load of scrap iron 2900 lbs. $174.00 . I have a load of alum. to bring later these week. Ever little bit helps around the farm with high prices. If you don't use it why keep it.

Cattle farmer Louisiana

Our ancestors put everything in the ditch and until recent, we cussed them for it. Now it's like striking gold on the place. I took a pick-up bed full of old copper pipe, coupled of old mangled whiskey stills (copper), aluminum window frames, etc., and almost got $400. They even pay for car batteries by the pound. Number 1 copper is paying $3.50 lb, aluminum $.90 lb.

My wife has been a digging fool lately. It's kind of cool finding some old farming artifacts. :nod:

We took in 3500 lbs of long steel sat. and it brought $10.00 a hundred. Our place is pretty clean now, wished we had more....

Yep, I see people on the side of the road digging through illegal trash dumps for stuff all the time. No more appliances littering the sides of the roads anymore either. ;-)

Stocker Steve":3en2rw9k said:
Recycling is a wonderful thing, but you wonder what will happen in India and China when we run out of scrap...
No doubt there will be more price increase. But I do not see this happening any time soon due to the junk being produced today and our need to keep up with the Jones's.

I found an old dump on our place today that I had forgotten about. It used to be a huge wash and dad started throwing junk in there over 40 years ago. I saw an old water heater, an old dishwasher,and other stuff. It it wasn't all covered with 25-30 old bias ply truck tires I'd dig it out and take it to the scrap yard.

We brought scrap metal in about a week ago and got $210/ton. A lot of people are really cleaning up there stuff in our area.

County road crews are trying to clean up all the illegal dump sites now but the scavengers already beat them to most of the appliances and metal.

I bought an old stainless milk tank couple years back for $400. Scrapped it last week for $1000 plus some change. Wish I could do that all the time.

We sure made a haul today. Took in cast iron radiators, stove's and dryers and old stantions. $.05/lb for over 2500 lbs. I sure am glad I didn't quit my day job to become a scrapper.