Scourguard

Help Support CattleToday:

do you guys think that it pays to give scourgard to the calves if they calve in a pasture starting about april? I don't think that the extra time and money would be worth it since they are calving in a clean environment. This is only my 2nd time calving so I really haven'[t had a chance to see if there is a high occurance w/ scours anyway. thanks

Rider if you want to treat your calves you would have to give poly serum shots like Scotty was talking about. Scourguard is a vaccine for the cows given prior to calving. I treated some first calf heifers with Scourguard 3 KC today. It is a killed virus so yes I will follow up with a booster in two weeks.

bif

We vaccinate with scourguard and vitamin A about a week to ten days prior to the first calf hitting the ground. We've had very good luck with it and we've been doing it for years.

A few years ago we used the scourguard vacines to cows but since then we have been using Calf-Guard(orally to newborn)and Nasalgen(Intranasally to newborn), which seem to be working better. Seems like different Vets in different areas have lots of recommendations.

harry":30lu85zl said:
Seems like different Vets in different areas have lots of recommendations.

I would imagine the different recommendations have to do with the different types of operations as well as different problems associated with individual climates.

Latest posts