Scourguard

Help Support CattleToday:

buckaroo_bif

Reaction score
Anyone out there used the scour prevenative Scourguard?
Just wondering how well it worked I have had a few fall calves coming down with the scours the last few days.

bif

Well I might give it a try on our February calvers.
I guess timing is pretty critical when vaccinating with it? I was reading the notes on their website and it said Do Not vaccinate too early.
thanks ladies :D

bif

I wanted to use it never did. i used poly serum shots when I tag the calves a day or two old. It covers the same things in one shot, were as Scourguards require a booster.

Scotty

msscamp":r1qqn008 said:
We usually vaccinate about a week before they are due to start calving.

You don't vaccinate twice with the Scourguard MssCamp? If you get good results without a booster then I probably will refrain from a second time through the chute.

bif

buckaroo_bif":1k85o2ox said:
msscamp":1k85o2ox said:

You don't vaccinate twice with the Scourguard MssCamp? If you get good results without a booster then I probably will refrain from a second time through the chute.

bif

No, but we've been using it for years. Just checked, first time receipients should get a booster, otherwise only one shot. I will have to discuss this with Dad (that conversation should be interesting). We've had excellent results, even with the heifers only getting one vaccination. :eek:

I never have been real sold on boostering vaccinations.
and we get along quite well!

bif

msscamp":3g8gunau said:
buckaroo_bif":3g8gunau said:
msscamp":3g8gunau said:

bif

No, but we've been using it for years. Just checked, first time receipients should get a booster, otherwise only one shot. I will have to discuss this with Dad (that conversation should be interesting). We've had excellent results, even with the heifers only getting one vaccination. :eek:

Ok thanks for the info I'll see what the vet says too

bif

buckaroo_bif":284iq5ch said:
I never have been real sold on boostering vaccinations.
and we get along quite well!

bif

I tend to play it by ear depending on what I'm vaccinating for. With the price of cattle these days though, it's not that big of a deal to run the heifers through twice.

Oh I'm sure I'll booster the heifers we just don't much with stocker calves. Never have much trouble, depends on the year, the weather and most of all the calves!

Most of these type antigens are killed type. The firast shot will only stimulate a memory responce. The next shot is the one that gives true vacination. Anytime the manufacturer recomends the booster i would suggest you do it. They do not write the directions on the lable just to sell more vacines or to spend more on ink. It there for a reason. If you do not want to give the second shot, well what ever floats your boat. Might as well shoot the first one on the ground as it will not help. Also on Scour guard if they do not calve in 45 days of the second shot some need a third. Timing is everything for this type product. IMO.

Scotty

We booster the breeding stock when necessary. The stockers that are shipped in rarely get it. If we can get them through the winter without losing too many and put a couple or hopefully three hundred pounds on them then it works for us!

:) bif

Scotty is right. If they call for a booster in 2 weeks or 4 weeks, you best be doing it, or don't bother vaccinating at all. Even if you give it to them every year. If they don't get the two shots up front (on any of the killed & some of the MLV) - you're totally wasting your money. If you are having good health - it's not because you gave them the unboostered shot.

I do not know of anyone that boosters vaccinations on calves going to wheat pasture. And I have questioned most everyone I know. Maybe you're right we might be better off just branding them and kicking em out on wheat.

:lol:
we'll try it that way next year just think of the money we could save!

We started with the ScourGuard 3 KC after we had the Rota/Carona virus run through the calves a few years back. Haven't had an outbreak since. I'm a firm believer in an "ounce of prevention".

Latest posts