Schooling?

Help Support CattleToday:

j.willard

Reaction score
If someone was interested in a career that had something to do with livestock what college or university programs in your opinion would open them up to the most employers? It wouldn't have to be directly working with the cattle or live stock... thanks for your opinion! :tiphat:

So you want a college that deals with livestock, but doesn't have to have livestock. Well, most colleges that deal with livestock have them because you can only learn so much from a textbook.
I guess if you want to study livestock but not be working with them, any online college would probably work.
If you want the best knowledge about how cattle think and work, I'd say Colorado State. You'll get to learn how one of the most knowledgeable people work cattle and "think" like them. If you do not know who that is, do a search for Temple Grandin.

jbar":34rlqrcj said:
this is the only school you need http://www.budwilliamsmarketing.com/.
this school teaches you how to make a proffit.
most collages teach you to break even.
Bud also has a stockmanship school.
This is the best money i ever spent.
And it works!!!!

Yes. Also see if you can go spend some time one on one with Bud and go to a stockmanship and marketing school. www.stockmanship.com.

greatgerts":34jwse05 said:
So you want a college that deals with livestock, but doesn't have to have livestock. Well, most colleges that deal with livestock have them because you can only learn so much from a textbook.
I guess if you want to study livestock but not be working with them, any online college would probably work.
If you want the best knowledge about how cattle think and work, I'd say Colorado State. You'll get to learn how one of the most knowledgeable people work cattle and "think" like them. If you do not know who that is, do a search for Temple Grandin.
No that is not what I meant. I assume the schools will have hands on portions of the program along with book work which is fine.

I meant for example a higher job than simply running a few cattle. Something higher up in the livestock industry such as managing a larger scale operation ect.

I'm just not sure which programs employers of that type would find most appealing such as bachelor of science in agriculture or animal science?

It really don't matter if you go to CSU or TAM except for what part of the country you are from. There are for sure some language differences between the two schools.

LOLOL ...........That was for you TB.

However what does matter is with a degree from either place you will start at the bottom and S...L...O...O...O..W....L...Y work your way up the ladder. My son's BIL just graduated from CSU with a Masters in Ranch management and is an accomplished horse trainer and farrier and he is shoveling shyt with the rest of the crew on a big operation for a few years.

So get your degree and go start paying your dues.

3waycross":24605mka said:
It really don't matter if you go to CSU or TAM except for what part of the country you are from. There are for sure some language differences between the two schools.

LOLOL ...........That was for you TB.

However what does matter is with a degree from either place you will start at the bottom and S...L...O...O...O..W....L...Y work your way up the ladder. My son's BIL just graduated from CSU with a Masters in Ranch management and is an accomplished horse trainer and farrier and he is shoveling shyt with the rest of the crew on a big operation for a few years.

So get your degree and go start paying your dues.

That is where the advanced degree begins and really never ends. Book learning is good but you really don't know shyt until you've been exposed to the real thing. If I'd been smart I'd have got an MBA first. :lol2:

j.willard":3nvwqakp said:
If someone was interested in a career that had something to do with livestock what college or university programs in your opinion would open them up to the most employers? It wouldn't have to be directly working with the cattle or live stock... thanks for your opinion! :tiphat:

Ag Eco (From TAMU) and you can manage any business you ever run across.

Animal science leaning toward food science. In general, producers of raw products cannot pay their employees as well as those closer to the final consumer. Lots of opportunities in this area if you are interested in this sort of thing.

j.willard":3af5v7fa said:

The Ag department is where they go when they fail out of the business school. Get your BBA in Finance and work for the holding company that oversees a ranching operation.

Just depends what you are interested in studying. As for schools Id just pick a good in state school as tuition is usually a lot less.
If you enjoy business subjects I'd think a guy with a business degree could work in just about any field or a management degree. If your more interested in science you could think about vet school or something along those lines. Im at TAMU right now but not studying anything ag related but know a few people who are. Only advice I would have is talk to a counselor about the options they have and what opportunities those options will open you up to when you graduate, dont just pick one thats easy, really think if anyone would ever higher you with the degree your obtaining. I picked my major because it has numerous fields I can work in after I graduate.