Schooling

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I've seen some things on here that make me scratch my head so I'm going to ask for some help in figuring them out. Here we go:

What does 'terminal' mean in context to an animal?

What does a feminine bull look like? How about a masculine heifer look like? (with pictures) VS what a masculine bull and feminine heifer look like.

When it comes to comformation, what is ideal? Can someone post a picture of an ideal cow and bull vs an animal that is not?

Thanks, I think there are a lot of newbies that will really benefit from this. :wave:

Bestoutwest":e6hv01cc said:
I've seen some things on here that make me scratch my head so I'm going to ask for some help in figuring them out. Here we go:

What does a feminine bull look like? How about a masculine heifer look like? (with pictures) VS what a masculine bull and feminine heifer look like.

When it comes to comformation, what is ideal? Can someone post a picture of an ideal cow and bull vs an animal that is not?

Thanks, I think there are a lot of newbies that will really benefit from this. :wave:

to me, terminal is when you are making a cross intended for pounds on the ground, not replacements. Putting a char on a brangus etc. I have made terminal crosses, and then kept heifers many times. Now I have some 1600 pound cows. Probably not a best management practice.

Terminal ---- the resulting offspring intended to be turned into steaks and hamburgers. As in, this cow crossed with that bull will be a "terminal" cross ....it ends there, the calf will not grow up to be breeding stock.

As for feminine and masculine, I cannot post pictures, but I'll try to describe. Although the link that Nesikep posted sure is a good example of a feminine looking bull......he looks like a heifer with testicles. A masculine heifer/cow is one that looks more like a bull, having a thick neck,hump on neck,broad shoulders very muscled for a female. In contrast, a feminine bull would lack all the secondary sexual characteristics normally exhibited by bulls, he would look more refined, no hump, alot like the picture that Nesikep posted a link for.

Bestoutwest":3knkux5d said:

Terminal is an animal bred for feedlots and then slaughter house usually high weaning and yearling weights around here a lot of times it is a Char bull on Brahma cross cattle like Brafords and Brangus.

Nesi posted a perfect picture of a feminine bull you can also find a few on the craigslist bulls topic in the everything else section there are a lot of examples of bad bulls in there that some of us have picked apart

If you go the breeds section there is a topic where people posted their bulls lots of good bulls in there

Sorry can't get any photos to post, but if you look around there are pictures on this site of good and bad animals just read the comments and you should get a pretty good break down of the animal

Did you see the one I posted? He actually does still have a pair, but you gotta look for them.
There's lots of pictures of good 'masculine' bull around here, I liked the one in my avatar, I post pictures of mine because that's the ones I know.

I've had some darned good cows that weren't very 'feminine' in appearance, thick, muscled, but produced really well.. I think the masculine/feminine look is most critical on a bull, because you rely more on him than a single cow, and because you get a whole lot more offspring per year from him as well. A masculine bull will tend to be a better breeder than one that isn't.

Deep, wide, and long might be good reference points for you, if you are a beginner. Also, if you have the opportunity to watch cattle walk from behind. The width of their feet apart, is usually a good indication of muscle. These would be good starting points.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I hope this has helped some other newcomers like myself. That bull was pretty weak. My neighbor uses a bull like that. His calves were all very weak. It doesn't help that he can't afford to feed them properly, but that's another story.