SCAM

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Just thought I would pass this on.
I got an email asking if a specific heifer listed on my web site was still "for sale" at $1700. Was extremely anxious for a response.
I was VERY suspicious, but I answered the email.
Ended up they wanted to send me a check for $3000 and I was supposed to mail the difference to someone else that was supposed to handle the trucking.
Not sure just how the total scam worked, I quit correspondence at that point - he called on phone & I told him to quit contacting me.
Anyone hear of this scam??

He signed his notes:
Donald mckoy.....
N.B.
He asked me to send the "truckers fee" to:
Patricia Mefford
2055 5th ave #apt 2
marion iowa 52302
U.S.A

I was told that he would give me a "fake check" that will often go thru the bank & the bank will say it cleared - later to find out that it was fake. Hence, we're out the money we could have sent.

Well, we do business this way - but with one catch.

We do not ship the trucker his money or allow the animal to leave the yard until the cheque clears at our end first. And, I mean "really" clears.

Bez'

Thanks for the warning. I haven't heard about that one. Had a guy want to buy a car I was selling. Saying he was gonna send me $10K for $5K car and give the shipper the rest. Sure yeah!

I have a client who fell for the scam, only it was for a dog sale. He raised some purebreds of something or other...anyway, he sent off his check to the "shipper" and shipped the dog...lost out on both.

This scam is in all probability one of the many components of the "Nigerian Scam Cartel"...

Anytime a prospect offers to send you money for more than your price is and/or is interested in the "transaction" rather than details about the "product"...well...hello scam!

Finally, one NEVER pays for someone else's trucker to haul your products away from your own place. A buyer always pays their trucking company (or for their own gas) when it comes to their place.

This "Nigerian" scam is directed at any and all products a person might have for sale. Horses, cattle, dogs, widgets, used lumber, lawn mowers, etc. If you're trying to sell it, they will try to scam you regardless of the product!

We stand by the old motto..."In God We Trust...all others pay cash" except for our trusted customer base, for new folks a call to the bank verifies the check before the beef leaves the farm... Susie

I work with a guy that was selling his Honda :oops: on the internet. He got an interested person that was willing to pay the 12k he was asking for it. The buyer sent him a cashiers check for 18k the extra 6k was for shipping that he was to send to John Doe. He recieved that cashiers check, cashed it and western unioned the money. A few days later the bank froze his account becasue the check was a fake. Now he has a loan to pay the bank back 18000. He used the 12k to pay off the car.
The buyer made off with 6000 of his money. I blame the bank some for cahing it but they are taking none of the blame. Tell the buyer you want cash and he has to settle up with the delivery company. That or just tell them no thanks. Boy I'd like :mad: to kick some peoples a$$ over stuff like this.
and the worst thing is,
he was left with that dang Honda. :x

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ikedwcv said:
Other than passing the word around, who would you report it to??? I kept his emails.

i wasn't sure so i did a quick search & found this site. it's linked from the FBI site so it looks legit. it seems like it shouldn't be too hard for them to check out with a physical address like you have.

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3hcj2m0x said:
Other than passing the word around, who would you report it to??? I kept his emails.

The guy I know called the FBI and they said it was too little of an amount of money for them to handle. Told him to call the Secret Service, they took all his info but to my knowledge he never heard back from them.

Most tyimes we're advised to contact our states attorny general for scams.

dun

The guy I new that it happened to took it way too good. :cry: I personally would have been raising cain down at the bank because when I buy gas the guy I give my check to can run it thru right there and tell me if it is good or not, why did the bank not do the same for him. I also don't think that I would have fallen for that one though. But you have to admit it's a pretty good scam because I never would have thought you would be able to cash a bad cashiers check :shock:

txag":32aqwzkk said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":32aqwzkk said:

i wasn't sure so i did a quick search & found this site. it's linked from the FBI site so it looks legit. it seems like it shouldn't be too hard for them to check out with a physical address like you have.

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

I reported something similar to the FBI scam web site. It was a tractor valued at around $24K. It was for sale on ebay and in a tractor trader. The ebay price was $4500 buy it now. I got a hold of the guy in the tractor trader and asked if he knew his tractor was for sale on ebay. Somebody was using his picture to scam on the tractor. The FBI never responded. I also reported it to ebay and all they would say was they their best to prevent scams. I told them the item number and everything and they never removed it. I later reported the same scam to ebay for a Harley and they never removed it either.

A co-work had the same scam tried on him and his wife. They had a saddle for sale on the internet. They were offerd double the money and they were to wire the extra to someone. The check came and it cashed at the bank (Bank of America, not their bank). The Western Union person smelled a rat when the wife was wiring the extra money. It turned out someone had stoled some checks in California. They ended up taking the cash back to the bank. The bank told that the teller shouldn't have cashed the check and actually they saved her job by taking the money back. They still have their saddle and are skeptical about selling it over the net.
Dave

The yappeal to the most common human trait-greed

Barnum was right!

dun