Scales

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I am looking to add a set of scales to weigh calves at weaning. What do you use and what are your recommendations?

I have a set of B&B scales under my squeeze chute. Works good for my needs. You can Google them.

We have several OLD Fairbanks Morse scales around that are still working great and certify annually with no issue. Over the last 3 years I've bought 1 stationary scale and a portable, both Rice Lake and I've been very happy with them.

HOSS":29gu3oem said:
I have a set of B&B scales under my squeeze chute. Works good for my needs. You can Google them.
I did the same thing. Seem pretty accurate, weighed some calves one afternoon and hauled them to the sale next morning. Only about 5 pounds difference per calf.

We have Tru Tests under our chute. Highly recommend. Battery lasts forever and gets a weight pretty quick.

I purchased a set of 5000 pound weigh bars and the indicator from Valley Vet for around $800 a few years ago. I have it under my chute and I am very pleased with it. It replaced one I had paid several thousand for quite a few years back. That one started having problems with the indicator and it was going to cost me more than the whole set-up just to replace that indicator. The same system is priced at $1030 now, but I would still recommend it.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... igh%20bars

All right, guys & gals.
We bought a set of 5000 lb weigh bars to install under the chute.
Have them positioned as far to the rear and front of the chute as I could get them - initially had them under the crossbars - but that had the chute teeter-tottering. Not on a concrete slab - but have treated 2x12s underneath and above the weigh bars, and they've been in place for at least a year now, so it's pretty stable.
Still, I can't get a standard weigh - there may be 200 lbs difference in the readout between a calf standing at the back of the chute and the same calf caught in the headcatch.

Any thoughts???

Lucky_P":d3jlewbi said:
All right, guys & gals.
We bought a set of 5000 lb weigh bars to install under the chute.
Have them positioned as far to the rear and front of the chute as I could get them - initially had them under the crossbars - but that had the chute teeter-tottering. Not on a concrete slab - but have treated 2x12s underneath and above the weigh bars, and they've been in place for at least a year now, so it's pretty stable.
Still, I can't get a standard weigh - there may be 200 lbs difference in the readout between a calf standing at the back of the chute and the same calf caught in the headcatch.

Any thoughts???
Either one of the weighbars is screwed up or the chute isn;t riding on them evenly.

Is the chute level? Also make sure it is not binding on whatever you have it attached to. That was the problem with mine. It was barely rubbing on the palp cage but it was enough to give it a false weight.

What type of monsters do you have on your scales? I am setting up a new indoor facility and am planning on putting weighbars under the chute. Mel

govols":3oha4jhj said:
I use Tru Test, good scale so far.

Same here. We have the platform, and it fits nicely in our Orbits chute. We have had our scale for over a year and only had to charge the battery one time since the initial charge. We use it weekly; any time we bring an animal in to clip or work on the get weighed.

We have used tru test scales the same ones for about 12 years, I realized how old they are when you folks started talking about the battery life, we have alligator clips that we hook up to a car battery. They have worked very well and have been dependable even if they are a bit out of date with all the new technology.

Oh I forgot we have a formost chute with the load bars located under the chute.

gizmom

Latest posts