scabby nose

Help Support CattleToday:

bchilders

Reaction score
I have a four year old cow who started acting weird about 10 days ago (staying back from the herd, scratching her nose til it had raw places, snotty nose, not overly excited about feed,etc.). I called the vet and seperated her. He said it sounded like allergies (we are in a SEVERE DROUGHT). She has enjoyed eating our yard and hasn't really been overly interested in joining the other cows. She is eating good, very interested in feed now, and has great body condition. Anyway, about 5 days ago the mucous looked hard and was kind of blocking her nostrils. Now her nose is peeling BAD. It looks like dead, thick, dry layer of skin. The new skin underneath looks healthy. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas about what is going on? Thanks!

I've always been told that scabby noses are a result of fever. I believe that...but then my forte' is baby calves.

What does the vet say?

Alice

Alice":363niqlk said:
I've always been told that scabby noses are a result of fever. I believe that...but then my forte' is baby calves.

What does the vet say?

Alice

The vet has always been great (doesn't run out for every little concern but comes when needed) - this time he acted like their really wasn't anything to be done and she'd be fine when the conditions improved. Maybe she got overheated - we have had a run of very hot days - maybe she had a fever? :( Just puzzled and trying to decide if she is a cull cow (she is the first calf born on our farm :D) as we may be reducing our numbers due to the extreme conditions here.

Hello: I am new in this site: I have a small ranch in Argentina and recently I have one cow just died, the Vet opened and found her liver with white spot (they have pus) also the fat around the kidney are yellow, we do not know what can cause this, she has eaten and moved around normally the day before, we have not noted anything abnormal. Anybody know what it could be?. Gino.