Saved our be-hinds

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This rain really saved us. We have places we started feeding hay a couple weeks ago. We hadn't had any significant rain this year at a couple of them. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve last night. I just stayed awake watching the radar and listening to the rain. We are at 5.5" from around midnight to 8am or so. :)

Brute 23":aiaaityz said:
This rain really saved us. We have places we started feeding hay a couple weeks ago. We hadn't had any significant rain this year at a couple of them. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve last night. I just stayed awake watching the radar and listening to the rain. We are at 5.5" from around midnight to 8am or so. :)
That much will help the water table and maybe fill some on ponds.

We finally got 4/10 ths before daybreak this morning. That will get me right at 10 inches for the year.
I was watching the radar yesterday at noon and thought about getting a load of fertilizer to put on the hayfields I baled cause I was certain we would get something the next few days. Ended up just moving the yard sprinklers.....it's summer in Texas, rainfall patterns are unreliable like the were in 2011 where we got ~2 inches all summer. Yep, it's to much like 2011, radar looks like it's splitting with most going to the northeast and a little to the southwest....right in the middle of nothing again.....

Brute 23":2t93ny2p said:

I was wondering if yall got as much as the sat and radar showed. So far, we've gotten very little over the last 2 1/2 days. Less than 3/4" total tho each day the forecast says over 2". Good for the grass but I could use a little more for the ponds. The only place that's puddled up is right under the roof eaves.

Brute 23":2y1y416w said:

I'm happy for you. I got 2.3" a few weeks ago, but without that I'd have been in the same boat. I got a little less than 1/2" Sunday, but nothing since. I'm still hopeful though.

Brute 23":3ttljlv5 said:
Its not over yet. The center is spinning around a little south of us. Its moving really slow. Hopefully it will spin some around yalls way.

Do you need my address ? My yard is brown. The spring fed creek is dried out for the second time since 1980.

I've watered boysenberry plants, peaches, apples, grapes, and stock. Haven't fired up a lawnmower in weeks.

We have had a few sprinkles and it is a godsend.

There's a big empty spot in the middle of East and East Central Texas. South Texas, Extreme E. Texas and West la seem to be getting good rain but the empty place isn't.... and hasn't the whole time since this started. The green is over us, but it isn't (and hasn't been) dropping anything more than few piddly little showers.

Brute 23":4cji47wm said:
Its not over yet. The center is spinning around a little south of us. Its moving really slow. Hopefully it will spin some around yalls way.
Yep, the sweet spot a little west of Corpus.
Finally filled in and came around. Getting a nice soaker right now. Going to help a couple weeks for sure.

Man I feel for you fella's not getting rain. Summer of 16 was terrible here, I hope you get some soon.

There was a little residual that made it to me that was in the form of a heavy mist a couple times. I mowed yesterday and saw some cracks at least 3" wide and smaller ones all over the pasture. One thing that was different was no mice or rats, only saw one cottontail. Highly unusual.

Its stopped most of the day yesterday but started up again last night. We have had another 2" this morning so far.

Corpus is getting flooded out supposedly. Its been steady on them since the start.

We will take another 5 if we can get it. It was amazing how little water was standing by yesterday evening.

We did at last, get a little decent rain this morning. Didn't last very long but came down hard.still sprinkling a little and radar looks good for today to be different than yesterday.

We had a couple of sprinkles the last couple of days. Please send some our way; we're dry - only 3.7 inches in May and .5 inches in June. Still have grass since we're perpetually understocked and cows and calves look good.

Texas Gal":4xala62d said:
We had a couple of sprinkles the last couple of days. Please send some our way; we're dry - only 3.7 inches in May and .5 inches in June. Still have grass since we're perpetually understocked and cows and calves look good.

ya'll took it pretty bad in the ice storm too a few months back. What a mess you had. I was up that way back then.

backhoeboogie":7ayj372h said:
Texas Gal":7ayj372h said:

ya'll took it pretty bad in the ice storm too a few months back. What a mess you had. I was up that way back then.

Thankfully it only lasted a couple of days. We lost power for a day; a friend closer to town lost power for 3 days off and on. When things finally thawed out, I couldn't get to work due to trees down on the county road. Sure wish we had some of that moisture about now. :p

For those of you needing the rain, and finally getting some precipitation, I'm happy for you, as we were in a similar situation earlier this year. For those that still need some, I sure hope you get some. It is a terrible thing, drought.